Menu
Cartroo
Joining in
Message 1 of 84
Flag for a moderator

Emails to ntlworld.com rejected with "Spam Content Found"

Hello,

I'm having issues sending email to my brother who has an ntlworld.com email address. The emails get bounced with an error that says Spam content found. I'm pretty certain this isn't an issue with the content, however, as I can send exactly the same email using a different domain without issue.

The domain that's suffering the problem is a Google Apps domain, so the email will be coming from Google's own servers. The domain from which the send completed successfully is an Apple iCloud email address.

I have both SPF and DKIM records configured on my domain and I've confirmed my end is OK by sending an email to check-auth@verifier.port25.com - the verdict is pretty conclusive:

==========================================================
Summary of Results
==========================================================
SPF check:          pass
DomainKeys check:   neutral
DKIM check:         pass
Sender-ID check:    pass
SpamAssassin check: ham 

The exact text of the bounce message I get back (with email addresses obscured) is like this - this sample is taken from another email I just tried to send half an hour or so ago:

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

[ REDACTED ]@ntlworld.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain ntlworld.com by mx.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net. [212.54.58.11].

The error that the other server returned was:
554 5.2.0 P3S41r01C3sr69M013S54y Spam content found

(As an aside I mentioned this in a previous thread last week, but I think perhaps that's off the radar as it's had no response so I started a new one)

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
igmaynard
Tuning in
Message 24 of 84
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Emails to ntlworld.com rejected with "Spam Content Found"

Stephen, thanks for the PM. Just so that others can see a possible solution. The reason given for my emails (from a Gmail address) being marked as spam was that "the sender is sending mail from an IP address that is not listed in the rDNS for their domain as the server dealing with mail. Far end issue"

By removing the signature on my emails, which contained an unrelated business URL, the emails are now getting through. Personally I think this is the Virgin filters being a bit over-zealous, and can't be described as a "far end issue" as it does not happen when I send emails to other ISP email addresses. But there you go.

All Replies
Cartroo
Joining in
Message 2 of 84
Flag for a moderator

Further to this I've just now had an email rejected from my Apple iCloud address as well. This definitely was working last week, as my brother confirmed he'd received an email.

Whatever the issue is, it appears that it's getting worse.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 84
Flag for a moderator

Hi Cartroo,

Apologies for the recent email spam problems, we're currently investigating an issue with our spam filters that may be the the cause of the bounced response you're getting.

You can find a few more details in the thread here.

Sorry again for any inconvenience caused, hopefully will have things back on track soon.

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Cartroo
Joining in
Message 4 of 84
Flag for a moderator

Hello Ralph,

Thanks for the response. I've been monitoring the thread you linked and I just wanted to mention that despite the update on that thread indicating progress on reducing incoming spam, I just confirmed that I'm still unable to send email from my own domain. I may now be able to send from my icloud.com address, since I sent an email a few minutes ago and haven't received an immediate failure, so perhaps things are improving somewhat.

0 Kudos
Cartroo
Joining in
Message 5 of 84
Flag for a moderator

To confirm the email I sent from my icloud.com address got through OK, so it's just my main Google address which is now being blocked.
0 Kudos
jules2
Dialled in
Message 6 of 84
Flag for a moderator

Keep an eye on it as I've had lots of emails that although received subsequently auto self delete
0 Kudos
Cartroo
Joining in
Message 7 of 84
Flag for a moderator

Hm, that's interesting, thanks. Unfortunately I don't own the inbox in question - I'm attempting to email my brother. I am a VM customer, but I don't use their email at all.
0 Kudos
Miles-261
Joining in
Message 8 of 84
Flag for a moderator

Hello -- I am having the same problem.

I provide web applications for Squash and Tennis clubs in the UK, and the application includes a facility for the club to send "News & Events" messages to their members.  It appears all messages being sent to recipients @ntworld.com and @virginmedia.com are bouncing back to my server with diagnostic-code "554 5.2.0 ... spam content found".  Here are some of the diagnostic codes from the headers.

diagnostic-code: smtp;554 5.2.0 28cl1s0150bmtjr018cmtv spam content found
diagnostic-code: smtp;554 5.2.0 28cj1s01a0bmtjr018ckgk spam content found
diagnostic-code: smtp;554 5.2.0 1zvx1s00b0bmtjr01zvyh7 spam content found
diagnostic-code: smtp;554 5.2.0 1zvx1s00r0bmtjr01zvykv spam content found
diagnostic-code: smtp;554 5.2.0 28ae1s00z0bmtjr018ageb spam content found
diagnostic-code: smtp;554 5.2.0 28ae1s0110bmtjr018af0m spam content found
diagnostic-code: smtp;554 5.2.0 28ac1s01c0bmtjr018adbz spam content found
diagnostic-code: smtp;554 5.2.0 28ac1s01c0bmtjr018adyn spam content found
diagnostic-code: smtp;554 5.2.0 28cl1s0150bmtjr018cmtv spam content found
diagnostic-code: smtp;554 5.2.0 28cj1s01a0bmtjr018ckgk spam content found

Each message was sent in accordance with your (and Gmail's) Bulk Senders Guidelines including a valid SPF record, DKIM signature, unsubscribe link in the message body, as well as a List-Unsubscribe link in the email headers.  There is really nothing more I can do to comply with bulk senders guidelines. I have tested receving messages with Gmail, Outlook and AOL and the messages are delivered directly to Inboxes.  It's only messages sent to recipients @ ntlworld, virginmedia and blueyonder which are bouncing back.

On the latest occasion, the message content was as follows (not including headers, message "footer" with unsubscribe link).  I hope you will agree this is not spam but legitimate communications from a club to it's members.

"New Years Eve tickets are still available behind the bar. £5 for adults £3 for kids. There is a limited number of tickets. On the night we have a DJ and a buffet. On New Years Eve the bar will be open from 12 to 6pm, last orders at 5.30pm, then close and will reopen for ticket holders from 7pm to 1am."

This is happening for several clubs using the same system (each with it's own FROM email address).  It appears you may have inadvertently black-listed our server.  Please could you help?  I would be pleased to provide further technical details as required.

Many thanks.

Best regards, Miles

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 84
Flag for a moderator

Hi Miles,

Welcome to the community and thanks for your post. I'm really sorry to hear your 'News and Events' email updates for the squash and tennis clubs are being bounced due to spam content found.

I can certainly take look at this for you. I will send you a private message shortly (purple envelope, top right hand side) so we can discuss this further.

Kind regards

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
robbie_rach
Joining in
Message 10 of 84
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I have also been having problems with sending emails to anyone with an ntlworld.com email address for several months now.

I use my work email address to email customers who may have an ntlworld.com email address, and up until Oct / Nov I had never had any problems, then suddenly I had bounce back emails stating 'spam content found' in any ntlworld.com email addresses, and also to anyone with a 'hampshirefa.com' email address. I tried to send the same email from my personal hotmail.com address, and the same thing happened, I got the same response. That has subsequently been resolved due to my work IT support and Hampshire FA's IT team, but I am still having issues with ntlworld.com emails from my work email address which no one seems to know the answer to.

The emails in question have gone through to people with other email addresses it is only ntlworld.com that I am having the problems with.

I have had no help from anyone online from Virgin Media, and passed around several people - it is only now that I have stumbled across several other people having the same issue, I can only assume this is a consequence of the ntlworld changes made last year? I have very little IT knowledge in terms of spam content and setting up filters etc, so help would be appreciated, this has been going on for a while now, has hindered my work, and even our own IT support team can't do any more to solve this.

Many thanks, Rachel.

0 Kudos