Menu
jimvision
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Emails to Talk Talk/Tiscali accounts are being blocked.

I have made several attempts to send an email to three separate accounts using the Talk Talk/Tiscali ISP. All messages have been returned with the comment "time out expired". Can some pressure be put upon them to fix this problem pronto, please?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Wrock
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Emails to Talk Talk/Tiscali accounts are being blocked.

If the Virgin Media postmaster/s had their own outgoing spam situation under control, TalkTalk probably wouldn't have had a reason to put in a block, so it is disingenuous to say that the problem lies with TalkTalk.  It is a shared problem.  Both TalkTalk and Virgin Media play a role.  It is embarrassing, and an example of poor customer service, that the Virgin Media postmaster/s have established no effective channel to resolve the situation themselves with TalkTalk and so are resorting to asking individual users to make complaints to TalkTalk.  

I suggest that Virgin Media put in place a DMARC p=reject policy at once to quell the ongoing spoofing problem from the Com spammers on their domains.  Cloudmark employee Andrew Conway could provide a great deal more information about the problem and the cure.  I understand that Virgin Media uses Cloudmark for spam filtering.  Consult with Cloudmark - they can help Virgin Media dig itself out of the spam problems it has been suffering this past year.  Virgin Media is doing its users as disservice and losing a fair amount of business by not taking the time to resolve a number of ongoing email problems.

-Wrock.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

mikes2400 wrote:

I've had several emails to talktalk.net and tiscali.co.uk addresses returned in the past few weeks as "Mail Delivery Failed". Just ordinary brief emails to friends with no attachments, so there's no reason why they should be regarded as spam. Trouble is it takes 4 days each time before I get the 'failed' message, so it's a long time before I know it's been bounced. Unacceptable situation.

Have you sent any in the last 24 hours?  There is a post on this forum from VM saying that Talk Talk/Tiscali have now lifted the block.

Edit to add link: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Mail-Delivery-Failed-for-11-recipients/m-p/3277225#M137222

mikes2400
Up to speed
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Good news! I can report that my email to Tiscali was received this afternoon, so looks as if the problem is indeed resolved.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The Virgin Media postmaster is apparently already engaged in this, but has asked for customers affected by this Talk Talk rate limiting issue to also report it individually to Talk Talk, so adding to the pressure on them.
Wrock
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If the Virgin Media postmaster/s had their own outgoing spam situation under control, TalkTalk probably wouldn't have had a reason to put in a block, so it is disingenuous to say that the problem lies with TalkTalk.  It is a shared problem.  Both TalkTalk and Virgin Media play a role.  It is embarrassing, and an example of poor customer service, that the Virgin Media postmaster/s have established no effective channel to resolve the situation themselves with TalkTalk and so are resorting to asking individual users to make complaints to TalkTalk.  

I suggest that Virgin Media put in place a DMARC p=reject policy at once to quell the ongoing spoofing problem from the Com spammers on their domains.  Cloudmark employee Andrew Conway could provide a great deal more information about the problem and the cure.  I understand that Virgin Media uses Cloudmark for spam filtering.  Consult with Cloudmark - they can help Virgin Media dig itself out of the spam problems it has been suffering this past year.  Virgin Media is doing its users as disservice and losing a fair amount of business by not taking the time to resolve a number of ongoing email problems.

-Wrock.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Graham_A wrote:
The Virgin Media postmaster is apparently already engaged in this, but has asked for customers affected by this Talk Talk rate limiting issue to also report it individually to Talk Talk, so adding to the pressure on them.

It's not just TalkTalk, the rate limiting is being done by another email provider, one which a friend of mine uses

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Wrock
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

What's the other provider, Shelke?

-Wrock.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Wrock One of the domains AT&T have. Emails from the webmail get rate limited, but the emails from email client get by as they source from a different IP address than the webmail does.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
mikes2400
Up to speed
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I've had several emails to talktalk.net and tiscali.co.uk addresses returned in the past few weeks as "Mail Delivery Failed". Just ordinary brief emails to friends with no attachments, so there's no reason why they should be regarded as spam. Trouble is it takes 4 days each time before I get the 'failed' message, so it's a long time before I know it's been bounced. Unacceptable situation.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

mikes2400 wrote:

Have you sent any in the last 24 hours?  There is a post on this forum from VM saying that Talk Talk/Tiscali have now lifted the block.

Edit to add link: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Mail-Delivery-Failed-for-11-recipients/m-p/3277225#M137222

mikes2400
Up to speed
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sounds promising. I sent one less than 2 hours ago so will report back as soon as I (hopefully) get a reply.

mikes2400
Up to speed
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Good news! I can report that my email to Tiscali was received this afternoon, so looks as if the problem is indeed resolved.