Menu
Mysty23
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Emails returned rejected by SORBS

For 3+ years I've been emailing my daughter on the same (university) email address.  Today they have suddenly started being rejected with the message - 

I am sorry to have to inform you that your message, -------- could not be delivered to ----------

The remote mail system said;

550:5.7.1 Rejected: 80.0.253.71 listed at dnsbl.sorbs.net

How do I solve this (in simple English please)?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 36
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Emails returned rejected by SORBS

You don't solve it.  Virgin has to - 80.0.253.71 is the address of one of their mail servers.  It's appearing on a number of blacklists including SORBS SPAM and SORBS NEW.

@ModTeam - can you get this raised to the email team ASAP?

Note that if you try sending again there is a possibility your mail MAY use a different server as Virgin actually have 16 relays in this range.  Not all of them are likely to be blacklisted.  However Virgin will need to investigate the reason for the blacklisting and resolve it before asking SORBS to delist the server.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 36
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You don't solve it.  Virgin has to - 80.0.253.71 is the address of one of their mail servers.  It's appearing on a number of blacklists including SORBS SPAM and SORBS NEW.

@ModTeam - can you get this raised to the email team ASAP?

Note that if you try sending again there is a possibility your mail MAY use a different server as Virgin actually have 16 relays in this range.  Not all of them are likely to be blacklisted.  However Virgin will need to investigate the reason for the blacklisting and resolve it before asking SORBS to delist the server.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mysty23, 

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to see that you have had trouble with emails being rejected we will need to investigate this issue further for you. 

In order to do this the Postmaster will require the header/source details of the failed sent email, which should be included as an attachment in the failed delivery notification/ bounce back message you have received. 

If unsure how to find the header/source take a look at Viewing Virgin Media Mail Headers

Pop the details back to me in full via PM. (Purple Envelope, top right hand corner).

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 36
Flag for a moderator

With all due respect Emma - in this case the information you have tells you all you need to know.

1. The email was rejected by the recipient because the server 80.0.253.71 is listed in SORBS DNSBL which is the SORBS main zone - a quick check at MX Toolbox confirms the blacklisting status.
2. 80.0.253.71 is the address of one of your outgoing relays at Knowlesley - The e-mail team need to monitor the blacklisting status of these servers constantly and respond to blacklistings pro-actively rather than waiting until a customer reports being blocked.
3. The headers of the outgoing mail will tell you little in this case, as all you will see is the mail as it sits in the sent folder, which means there are no tracking details added.

Ravenstar68

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hi ravenstar68, 

Thanks for getting back to me. I know they are still going to want it though. So I would like to cover all the bases with the things they will ask for before hand otherwise it will take longer to process. 

Many thanks

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Mysty23
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 36
Flag for a moderator

As I have a Mac the instructions don't unfortunately apply! However I tried View/Message/All Headers and sent you the subsequent result (which was longer than the original email). Thanks
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mysty23, 

Thanks for getting back in touch and for the details provided. 

I have raised the issue to the Postmaster, ref F005018373. 

I was not aware I had given any instructions that were specific to a MAC or a PC. Can you let me know the variation of the steps required so we will know for future. 

Many thanks

Emma

0 Kudos
Mysty23
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Apologies, the instructions were on the link "Viewing Virgin Media Mail Headers" and are possibly only applicable if accessing email through Virginmedia? They state -
How to View Source
Select a message.
Click the More icon More Icon in the toolbar. Select View source from the menu. The source is displayed in the View source window.
You can also use the Actions iconAction Icon in the Detail view.

Mac don't have a More icon or View source on the menu. Either way hopefully on it's way to being sorted now, thank you
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mysty23, 

Thanks for the additional information I will make a note of that for future reference. 

The Postmaster will investigate the details and once I have word from them I will let you know. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

0 Kudos
Mysty23
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Do you have any idea how long it will take? It's 4 days now and still getting rejected?
0 Kudos