Menu
Forum Team
Message 11 of 36 (299 Views)

Re: Emails returned rejected by SORBS

Hi Mysty23,

Hope you don't mind me replying as Emma's not in until tomorrow Smiley Happy

Postmaster will take a look at the ticket raised for your issue as soon as she can. Her workload is fairly heavy so it's likely to take anything from a few days to a few weeks. It really depends on what path the investigation takes and what is required to remedy it.

Some issues may require liaison with a 3rd party company which can extend the EFT considerably.

Whatever happens though we shall keep you updated.

All the best,

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 12 of 36 (261 Views)

So three months later, getting the same problem on the same email address - 

This is the mail system at host know-smtprelay-8-imp.

I am sorry to have to inform you that your message, "KW", could not be delivered to xxxxxxxxx

The remote mail system said;
550:5.7.1 Rejected: 80.0.253.72 is listed at dnsbl.sorbs.net  - Please contact your IT Dept and inform them one of their mail-relays is currently on a Spam blacklist.

Is there a quicker way of solving this than last time and why is it happening again????

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 13 of 36 (246 Views)

@ModTeam @ForumTeam

Coming thick and fast this weekend. Up to VM to get 80.0.253.72 off the SORBS blacklist. It is VM's mail relay.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM.
Rising star
Message 14 of 36 (233 Views)

[ Edited ]

SORBS is down at the moment.  Only the cached version of the website is working.  As I type it has now come back up.  

This from their website:

How did I get listed in the first place...? There are many possibilities. The IP address that you use for your outgoing mail was used to send spam to a SORBS spamtrap or administrator. There are multiple possibilities for how this could have happened: You spammed directly. Either you are a dedicated spammer, or you operate an insecure mailing list to which the address of a SORBS spamtrap or administrator was added without their knowledge or consent. It is a shared server and some other user on the same server spammed directly. The machine was illegally taken over via vulnerabilities in software and abused for spamming. This includes vulnerabilities on servers as well as viruses and Trojan horses on end-user computers. You are an ISP who provides supplementary Internet services (DNS, web hosting, mail exchanger) or a credit card operator who provides credit card processing services to a domain advertised in spam that was received by a SORBS spamtrap or administrator. You are an innocent party whose IP address is listed as part of a larger range of blocked IP addresses because your Internet service provider is not taking action against other customers of theirs that engage in spamming. You inherited a listed network after your provider moved the previous tenant, who was a listed spammer, elsewhere. They may have simply moved them around in their own IP address space, or they may have terminated the spammer. At any rate, it would have been kind of the ISP to double-check whether the address block was block-listed anywhere before reallocating it.

Also off their website:

What are the thresholds for delisting? The formula SORBS uses for allowing self delisting are fairly complex and are time based. In all cases the formula works out the "minimum time to delist" and this is applied to your IP from the last time spam was received from your host. Follows are the thresholds and time periods: For first time listees you must have less than 10 spams recorded and wait a minimum of 48 hours. For second time listees you must have less than 50 spams recorded and wait a mimimum of 7 days. For third time listees you must have less than 100 spams recorded and wait a minimum of 30 days. For forth time listees you must have less than 200 spams recorded and wait a minimum of 183 days (6 months). For fifth time listees you must have less than 300 spams recorded and wait a minimum of 365 days (1 year). The minimum perriod formula is a little more complex than described above and therefore delisting maybe longer based on the number of spams you have sent, however what is described is the minimum period. If you fall outside of these ranges, you will need to log a support ticket with the SORBS Support Staff and explain why you should be delisted.

So, depending on how much spam (and how many times this IP address has been blocked by SORBS in the past) has come off this server (as I understand it), it could take anything from two days or up to a year to sort out.  The OP should stop sending email as it makes the problem worse.  You now have 2 servers on their list 80.0.253.71 and 80.0.253.72.Smiley Surprised  

http://www.sorbs.net/faq/spamdb.shtml

http://www.sorbs.net/delisting/overview.shtml

*Seems like an elaborate DOS attack to me. *Opinion only

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure.
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans.
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant.
I only invent the bomb - I don't drop it. Bryce Lynch.
Forum Team
Message 15 of 36 (187 Views)

Hi Mysty23, 

Thanks for getting back in touch, I am sorry to see you have continued to have this issue. 

Pop the hub into Modem only mode to change WAN and let us know if this makes a difference. 

Are the emails being rejected from your side or her side? 

Please pop across a fresh header to me via PM and we will investigate further. 

Many thanks

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 16 of 36 (187 Views)

@Emma_E - I'm going to send you a PM

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 17 of 36 (141 Views)

Seriously, can you say this in plain English?

I have no idea how to "pop my hub into WAN only mode" and don't know what you mean by popping you a fresh header

I only know that I'm getting EXACTLY the same message as I was getting before which took about 2 weeks for the postmaster to allegedly solve?

Community elder
Message 18 of 36 (118 Views)

Your fastest solution is to get a new, free email address from Gmail or outlook and use that instead. You have learned the hard way that virgin email is no longer fit for purpose, and that their procedures for fixing it are also pretty useless

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 19 of 36 (114 Views)

Whilst a new email address would be a solution, it would not be easy - I've had the same address forever and wouldn't know how to begin to notify everyone of the change? Not just friends/family but bank, businesses etc.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Message 20 of 36 (110 Views)

Mysty23 wrote:

Seriously, can you say this in plain English?

I have no idea how to "pop my hub into WAN only mode" and don't know what you mean by popping you a fresh header

I only know that I'm getting EXACTLY the same message as I was getting before which took about 2 weeks for the postmaster to allegedly solve?

One of my fellow Superusers has raised questions behind the scenes about what you need to do next. There should be an answer shortly. Please be patient and all will be well and sorted for you as quickly as we can. Please don't do anything drastic.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM.