Menu
will4jan
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Emails rejected as spam on Virgin only

I have an ntlworld email address and use Windows Live Mail as my email client. When I send emails from there to any holder of a virgin media email address (i.e. including ntlworld etc.), I get a rejection back saying Spam Content Found. But when I send an email to the same address using Webmail, it gets through. So clearly it's not a problem with the recipients' settings. What can the problem be?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Emails rejected as spam on Virgin only

Hi will4jan, 

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to see you have been having trouble with emails being bounced.

There have currently been some changes going through on our systems to correct this issue. 

How have things been since you posted last? 

If you are still having trouble please pop me a PM (purple envelope top right hand corner) including a recent header of the failed sent email, which should be included as an attachment in the failed delivery notification/ bounce back message. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@Emma_E

It's worth checking the bounce messages to see what servers the massages sent via Live mail are passing through.

I predict he's falling foul of Virgin's outbound spam filters on the Knowlsley SMTP servers.  The question is why?

Ravenstar68

BTW - It's partly down to the recipients anti spam settings.  The spam filters work on a number of different guidelines.  Webmail goes out through a different set of servers to mail sent via an SMTP client such as Live Mail.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
will4jan
Joining in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello Emma

Thanks for your reply. Things are OK at the moment but I've noticed this problem comes and goes. I'll send you a rejection emai; should it recur.

Best wishes

Will

0 Kudos
pthwaite
Joining in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I too have been having this issue.

Any emails sent (except via a gmail account, are being rejected by all virginmedia and ntlworld recipients.

e.g.:

This is the mail system at host know-smtprelay-10-imp.

I am sorry to have to inform you that your message, "Re: Emailing: November Handicaps", could not be delivered to XXXXXX@ntlworld.com.

The remote mail system said;
554:5.2.0 ElHo1u0131d4WkY01lHyhe DMARC validation failed with result 3.00:quarantine

It's been happening for about 4 weeks now.

Howard

0 Kudos
pthwaite
Joining in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I too am having this issue.

Whenever I am sending emails from  any account other than gmail, to a Virginmedia or ntlworld email address, I get them bounced back with this form of error:

This is the mail system at host know-smtprelay-10-imp.

I am sorry to have to inform you that your message, "Re: Emailing: November Handicaps", could not be delivered to XXX@ntlworld.com.

554:5.2.0 ElHo1u0131d4WkY01lHyhe DMARC validation failed with result 3.00:quarantine

Clearly the spam filter's are being over-enthusiastic. Can it get fixed or sorted?

Very frustrating.

H

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

This probably isn't the same problem as described in the original thread. You should have started your own thread. We've seen it before. Wait for a Forum Team to pick up on this. It'll take about a week.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

This happens when a mail fails either SPF or DKIM validation.

We know you're trying to send through Virgin Media's relays.  But I'm guessing the address you are sending from isn't a Virgin Media email address.

You need to send using the correct email servers for the address you are sending from.

Ravenstar68

pthwaite
Joining in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Well it is a bit difficult when you receive emails on a phone or table and are not at home. There never used to be an issue and the virginmedia server is set to the default unless it can't get through.

This would infer that whenever you are not at home i.e. travelling you cannot replay to an email?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

pthwaite wrote:

Well it is a bit difficult when you receive emails on a phone or table and are not at home. There never used to be an issue and the virginmedia server is set to the default unless it can't get through.

This would infer that whenever you are not at home i.e. travelling you cannot replay to an email?

It infers nothing of the sort.

What domains are you sending from?

0 Kudos