Menu
Chemophile
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Emails need passwords

Hi

Since Friday 24/2/17 we (my wife, my son and my daughter and me) have been unable to access our ntlworld email accounts.  This applies on phones, tablets, laptops and via the virgin website.  We get an error message saying that the password on the server has been changed, but needless to say no of us have changed it.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Emails need passwords

I suspect that VM may have locked the accounts having identified a security risk. They usually send a letter to the account holder but these seem to take a week to arrive. They also send a text message if they have a mobile contact no.

Anyway when you ring and select broadband faults ignore all the requests to reboot equipment etc and you will get through to a person.

All Replies
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Are you still paying customers of Virginmedia?  If not, your email account may have been cancelled.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Chemophile
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes, we always have been. Thanks for the reply though.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If your primary username is not one of the ones that has been changed you can use that to sign into My Virgin Media and reset the passwords for your secondary accounts. Sign in to My Virgin Media, go to My Profile and/or Manage Accounts depending on whether the account concerned is your primary account or an additional one. Select the account concerned and then click on Change to the right of password if a primary account or View/Change then change to the right of password for secondary accounts.

Otherwise clicking on the forgotten password link should take to you the change password page.  Once you access to the accounts again it would be a good idea to change the security questions/answers as well.

If you can't use either of the above methods then call in and select the broadband faults option. The numbers to ring are 150 free from a VM mobile or landline, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone (chargeable as standard UK landline phone no.).

Chemophile
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that but the primary account is one of those affected and I can't get in via the forgotten password either.
Guess I'll have to ring, but it always takes a long time to get through
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I suspect that VM may have locked the accounts having identified a security risk. They usually send a letter to the account holder but these seem to take a week to arrive. They also send a text message if they have a mobile contact no.

Anyway when you ring and select broadband faults ignore all the requests to reboot equipment etc and you will get through to a person.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chemophile, 

I am sorry to see you have been having trouble with accessing your emails. 

I notice you said you were going to give us a call. I hope things are now sorted for you. 

If you are continuing to have trouble pop the email address in question across to me via PM (purple envelope, top right hand corner) and I will investigate further for you. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Chemophile
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Things sorted now. Rang 150, worked my way through the maze of options to the point where a system scan was compulsory, underwent a second system scan lasting about 10 minutes, rang 150 again, back through the maze to where I was before, but this time I was allowed to talk to a real person, but not before more options and entering my password. And yet the first thing the real person asked for was my password!
Anyway, at least it's sorted.
Thanks to all.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chemophile, 

Thanks for getting back to me again so quickly. 

Glad to see that things are looking better for you now. Apologies for the trouble you had getting through when you spoke to us over the phone. 

It sounds like the systems had a little glitch when inputting the password.

If you do need any further help in the future let us know and we'll always be happy to take a look.

All the best.

Emma 

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos