Menu
kiwisue
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Emails get stuck in the outbox

I am travelling in NZ and using my tablet for emails. All working fine until March 1st when outgoing emails got stuck in outbox. Message says error with server. Incoming is working fine so no idea what is happening. The same thing happened in Borneo in October but sorted itself after a few days. I note that both my outgoing server SMTP and incoming server IMAP are named  .virginmedia.com whereas my email address is @ blueyonder.co.uk - should i change this? but it has always been like this. Also is Password for server the same as the password for My Virginmedia? Lots of questions but this is incredibly frustrating as cannot communicate with anyone at home and have no idea how to sort it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Emails get stuck in the outbox

Straighforward, honest advice based on past experience with this kind of issue on the Forum. Use VM web mail. That always works. The problem you have encountered is two-fold. Firstly using VM outgoing servers (SMTP) from non VM non UK IPs is subject to very low sending limits to prevent spam. The limits operate on a rolling 24 hour basis which why you see a temporary improvement. Secondly you must authenticate sends. SMTP settings must be port 465 with SSL on. You need to authenticate with your current VM address.  The virginmedia.com server name is fine.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
kiwisue
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Emails get stuck in the outbox

Thank you, i was able to access webmail from my tablet, just as i had been able to do on friends' computers - not so straightforward as the email direct system though. Suddenly, and without any changes being made the direct system started working again, outbox disappeared, i wonder if the messages were delivered. Starting and stopping like this is completely unpredictable,unacceptable and unreliable. I will be taking the issue up with Virginmedia when i am back home and able to get in touch with them

0 Kudos