Menu
Desred
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Emails bounce back from BT Internet addresses

2 weeks ago, I found that emails to any contacts with a BT Internet email address are being sent back with this message (but I can receive emails from them).

This is the mail system at host know-smtprelay-11-imp.

I am sorry to have to inform you that your message, "Re: xxxxx", could not be delivered to friend'sname@btinternet.com.

The remote mail system said;
550:Message rejected for policy reasons (1.1.1.4) - Please check you have authority to send email from 80.0.253.75 on behalf of the domain earthling.net. Guide for bulk senders www.bt.com/bulksender.

I have had an account with Mail.com for many, many years. They provide me with a personalized address that ends with earthling.net.

When I receive any "earthling" emails, Mail.com is set up to automatically forward them to my Virgin inbox which has my original email address that ends with blueyonder.co.uk and to send any emails I write. Worked quite happily for many, many years.

I have asked Mail.com to help but no joy yet. I wasted an hour with BT support trying to see if they could help - no chance, probably as I am obviously not a BT customer.

I hope the above makes sense as I have almost no IT skills, but if anyone can help, please let me know!

Des

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Emails bounce back from BT Internet addresses

Looks like BT have tightened up their in-coming email security since the beginning of 2017.

You are not alone. See this thread -

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Re-BTinternet-rejecting-all-our-emails/td-p/1703349

In non-technical terms, the onus is upon your e-mail forwarder (Mail.com) to ensure that any email they forward to BT conforms to BT's security rules. They should be talking to BT and should then tell you if you have to do anything differently. Chase Mail.com for an answer.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Actually the problems not with bt - it's with the earthling.net domain.  Or more precisely with it's spf record.

Looking at the IP that was attempting to deliver the mail.

80.0.253.75 - This belongs to Virgin Media - it's one of their outbound smtp relays, So we can assume that the OP is in this case sending an email via the Virgin Media servers using an address ending in @earthling.net - Domain providers are taking steps to protect domains using spf.

So lets take a look at earthling.net

Non-authoritative answer:
earthling.net   text =

"v=spf1 redirect=mail.com"

This record tells the receiving server to use the spf record for mail.com to determine if the mail is coming from a valid source.

mail.com        text =

"v=spf1 ip4:213.165.64.0/23 ip4:74.208.5.64/26 ip4:74.208.122.0/26 ip4:212.227.126.128/25 ip4:212.227.15.0/24 ip
4:212.227.17.0/27 ip4:74.208.4.192/26 ip4:82.165.159.0/24 ip4:217.72.207.0/27 -all"

And this is the SPF record used.

Note two things.

1. 80.0.253.75 doesn't appear in the list.
2. The -all at the end denotes a hard fail - which comes into play because of 1.

In the absence of a DMARC record it's up to the administrators of the receiving server to decide what to do with the failed SPF result.  In BT's case they are rejecting it.

So how to solve the problem:

Use mail.com's outbound smtp servers to send mail for your earthling.net domain.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Looks like BT have tightened up their in-coming email security since the beginning of 2017.

You are not alone. See this thread -

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Re-BTinternet-rejecting-all-our-emails/td-p/1703349

In non-technical terms, the onus is upon your e-mail forwarder (Mail.com) to ensure that any email they forward to BT conforms to BT's security rules. They should be talking to BT and should then tell you if you have to do anything differently. Chase Mail.com for an answer.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Actually the problems not with bt - it's with the earthling.net domain.  Or more precisely with it's spf record.

Looking at the IP that was attempting to deliver the mail.

80.0.253.75 - This belongs to Virgin Media - it's one of their outbound smtp relays, So we can assume that the OP is in this case sending an email via the Virgin Media servers using an address ending in @earthling.net - Domain providers are taking steps to protect domains using spf.

So lets take a look at earthling.net

Non-authoritative answer:
earthling.net   text =

"v=spf1 redirect=mail.com"

This record tells the receiving server to use the spf record for mail.com to determine if the mail is coming from a valid source.

mail.com        text =

"v=spf1 ip4:213.165.64.0/23 ip4:74.208.5.64/26 ip4:74.208.122.0/26 ip4:212.227.126.128/25 ip4:212.227.15.0/24 ip
4:212.227.17.0/27 ip4:74.208.4.192/26 ip4:82.165.159.0/24 ip4:217.72.207.0/27 -all"

And this is the SPF record used.

Note two things.

1. 80.0.253.75 doesn't appear in the list.
2. The -all at the end denotes a hard fail - which comes into play because of 1.

In the absence of a DMARC record it's up to the administrators of the receiving server to decide what to do with the failed SPF result.  In BT's case they are rejecting it.

So how to solve the problem:

Use mail.com's outbound smtp servers to send mail for your earthling.net domain.

Ravenstar68

Lewlew
Dialled in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Look, I'm really confused. I sent one email earlier, no problem, the next later this evening...and bounce. 

I have a BY addy... so is it their spam detection? Do I have to change to freakin Gmail again????

host mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk [65.20.0.49]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

ITS NOTHING TO DO WITH VIRGIN

mail.com has put up a DNS record saying that mail from an address ending in earthling.net WILL ONLY COME FROM MAIL.COM servers.  BT is reacting to this record and rejecting any mail that does not do so.

The fix will depend on whether you have a Free or a Paid account.

If a Free account you can only send mail using the following methods
Webmail
Mail.com IOS App
Mail.com Android App

POP3, IMAP and SMTP are only available to Premium subscribers.

If your account is a Premium account - you can use the mail.com smtp servers

Outbound

mail.com
Port 587
StartTLS

Username - Your full earthling.net email address
Password - Speaks for itself.

Once you are using the correct outbound servers your problem will go away.

Ravenstar68

Desred
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

At least I'm not alone. Sad to see so many others are affected and BT isn't helping us. Many thanks for the link. I'm chasing up Mail.com too.

0 Kudos
Desred
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Are you saying that you believe I will not be able use my Apple Mail Virgin (earthling) account to send emails to my BT Internet friends, that I can only do so from Mail.com?

That would be a real pity as it just creates extra hassle having to try and remember to use Mail for nearly all my contacts but then having to go to Mail.com to send to those with BT internet addresses (especially when some belong to groups)

Certainly appreciate your explanation and suggestions, Ravenstar

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Desred wrote:

Are you saying that you believe I will not be able use my Apple Mail Virgin (earthling) account to send emails to my BT Internet friends, that I can only do so from Mail.com?

That would be a real pity as it just creates extra hassle having to try and remember to use Mail for nearly all my contacts but then having to go to Mail.com to send to those with BT internet addresses (especially when some belong to groups)

Certainly appreciate your explanation and suggestions, Ravenstar

As I stated above it depends on whether the earthling.net account is free or if it's a premium (paid for account), however let me ask you this.

Do you currently collect mail from the earthling.net account via Apple Mail?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Lewlew wrote:

Look, I'm really confused. I sent one email earlier, no problem, the next later this evening...and bounce. 

I have a BY addy... so is it their spam detection? Do I have to change to freakin Gmail again????

host mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk [65.20.0.49]

@Lewlew - Jumping into someone else's thread the way you have is really confusing.  I've looked at your post history and have no idea what your issue is.

So the community can properly respond to your issue can you start your own thread detailing exactly what the problem is, any error messages you are getting etc.

Once we have that information we can try and help you - but please do not post it in this thread.  It makes it a lot easier when each thread deals with an individual posters problems.

Ravenstar68

0 Kudos
Lewlew
Dialled in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ravenstar68  I went to the BT Community link posted in THIS thread  by BillC45 and found I have the same exact rejection. This is a community-wide problem, not my personal one.

on Page 1 of their thread, 2nd post from bottom. 

It is relevant to this thread's topic. It is not my unique problem. Why would I want to waste your or other expert helper's time? 

I would have thought it would be selfish to start my own lone thread when the problem was posted here and solutions/reasons being discussed.

I just did not want to make more work for the experienced helpers.

That said, I will bugger off and work on it on my own .  Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos