Menu
ICTNYM
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Emails being rejected as spam

We are getting all emails from North York Moors National Park being rejected as spam for all the Virgin Media domains.

==============

This is a delivery failure notification message indicating that an email you addressed to email address :

-- XXXXXX@ntlworld.com

could not be delivered. The problem appears to be :

-- Recipient email server rejected the message

Additional information follows :

-- 5.2.0 905F1u00G3uiUJS0105Gj8 Spam content found

This condition occurred after 1 attempt(s) to deliver over a period of 0 hour(s).

If you sent the email to multiple recipients, you will receive one of these messages for each one which failed delivery, otherwise they have been sent.

0 Kudos
ICTNYM
Joining in
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Emails being rejected as spam

We have been through the sticky regarding the usual problems, we have valid SPF and DMARC entries and use DKIM via our email host - Mimecast.
0 Kudos
ICTNYM
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Lack of access to support for non-VM customers and Email being rejected as spam.

I work for North York Moors National Park and have been trying to contact someone about our emails being rejected as spam from all the VM domains.  Due to your call handling system, I cannot actually ring any one to talk to them and there is no reply from your "Help" forum.

What we are getting is:

This is a delivery failure notification message indicating that an email you addressed to email address :

-- XXXXXX@ntlworld.com 

could not be delivered. The problem appears to be :

-- Recipient email server rejected the message 

Additional information follows :

-- 5.2.0 905F1u00G3uiUJS0105Gj8 Spam content found 

This condition occurred after 1 attempt(s) to deliver over a period of 0 hour(s). 

If you sent the email to multiple recipients, you will receive one of these messages for each one which failed delivery, otherwise they have been sent.

We have valid SPF and DMARC entries in our DNS and use DKIM via our email filtering company, Mimecast.

This problem has been happening for a couple of weeks and we are unable to contact a large proportion of our volunteers.

This problem also occurred in April 2016.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lack of access to support for non-VM customers and Email being rejected as spam.

I think this series of posts demonstrates a lack of appreciation and respect for this Forum and for what it is used for. I am seriously disappointed when IT professionals behave in this way and I wish to say so in unequivocal terms.

This is a community forum where users of VM services come with questions and other users, including people like me, come to help. VM Forum staff will intervene but given the volume of posts and the level of staffing they have this can take up to a week at the moment. Everyone has to wait unless users like me can offer an immediate and correct reply which we do in the majority of cases. This type of problem is not one we can help with. Uncensored e-mail headers from bounced messages will be required to resolve. They cannot be published here - this is a public forum which like all of them is scanned by spammers to harvest live e-mail addresses. They will be requested via the private message system in due course by the Forum Team member who picks this up.

The problem being outlined in this series of posts is well known and VM staff have published a help note for it. It is here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-Spam-Content-Found-error-550-554/td-p/3229831

You need to wait and wait patiently for further advice. It will be forthcoming as you would appreciate if you had read previous (and there are so many of them you can't miss them) posts from others on this issue.

We do not appreciate duplicate posts either. I have merged your two sets of posts so we can keep stuff in one place and not be forced to scurry around trying to find out what is going on.

I'm sorry to be direct and forthright, but if you want our help then respect the Forum rules and don't assume that your issue is any more important than anyone else's - it isn't. This problem is a serious nuisance on the VM mail system. It has been going on for at least a year now and normal users would be on your side in helping to get it resolved. Let's keep it that way.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
ICTNYM
Joining in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lack of access to support for non-VM customers and Email being rejected as spam.

I appreciate it is a volunteer based forum and did not mean to cause any upset, however, we have been bouncing off the call handling system that only seems to work if you have a service with VM.
We have followed the article you linked and meet all the requirements.
We have several hundred volunteers that are out of contact at the moment due to this problem, hence the urgency on our part.
I guess I'll just have to wait.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I guess you will. And you are right the phone system is largely for VM customers. But if you had waited on the line and let the security questions play through you would have been connected. Our experience is that this Forum is a better place to come for help then 1st line support on the phones who are woefully ignorant.

You do not have to live with "out of contact volunteers". Tell them (web page) that they should open accounts with the likes of GMail or Outlook on the web or others for your e-mails. Bit of work.

Or get them to follow this advice for their spam settings:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ravenstar-s-Email-FAQ-s/m-p/3026118#M129705

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@ModTeam

Normally I wouldn't flag up a call so quickly but as we're talking about the North York Moors National Park here, I would have thought it important for them to be in to be in touch with their volunteers working around the Moors.

@James_W This again represents everything wrong with the ongoing approach to the Spam Content Found issue.  It continues to bounce mails that should not have been marked as spam.  How much longer do senders and customers have to wait for this to be put right?

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

ravenstar68 wrote:

@James_W This again represents everything wrong with the ongoing approach to the Spam Content Found issue.  It continues to bounce mails that should not have been marked as spam.  How much longer do senders and customers have to wait for this to be put right?

Yes!

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi ICTNYM,

Welcome to the forums, I'm very sorry to see you have had emails bouncing as Spam Content. 

Please pop across the header of the failed sent email, which should be included as an attachment in the failed delivery notification/ bounce back message or the SMTP logs and we will investigate this further. Please send me the details via PM (purple envelope, top right hand corner).

Apologies for the delay in getting back in touch.

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
malsiluk
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Totally agree with Ravenstar and his comments to James!!

Along comes Emma with the same old solution. Private messages and no doubt a one-off fix for this one sender. I would say that's like using a sticking plaster on a single cut of a casualty who needs intensive care at the local A&E.