Menu
PaulSc1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Emails being delayed

Hi there,

Incoming emails are being delayed by up to 2 days.  We have our email forwarded to our virgin media "ntlworld" email address from our registered domain name.  We have checked with the company that forward the email, and they have checked the headers of a delayed email and say that the virgin media servers are rejecting the forwarding server. 

The forwarding server keeps trying to deliver until it eventually gets through - which can take anything up to two days.  Any ideas or tips how to sort this out would be appreciated.

All the best

Paul 

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Re: Emails being delayed

Hi Paul, 

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to see you have had trouble with emails being delayed. 

So I can investigate this further please pop across the the header of the delayed incoming mail to me via PM (purple envelope, top right hand corner).

Once I have these details I will be able to see what has been delaying the emails and what action needs to be taken to correct this. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
RichardWoking
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Paul,

Bang on the money there about the delays and dreadful service from Virgin Media. Branson needs to stop toadying to ex Presidents and look at problems closer to home rather than leaving it to the likes of Emma to play for time and so called SuperUsers to show how clever they think they are.

RichardWoking

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Branson has nothing to do with Virgin Media.  He allows them to use the Virgin Brand for a fee.  That's all.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
RichardWoking
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Ravenstar - that is both a contradictory and ridiculous post. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Not contradictory at all.

Richard Branson used to own Virgin Mobile in the UK and he sold it to NTL/Telewest - at the same time he agreed a licensing deal which allowed NTL/Telewest to use the Virgin brand in their name.  Hence Virgin Media was born.

There's a whole lot of difference between owning a company and allowing them to use your brand.

In any case Virgin Media is now owned by the Liberty Global Group.

0 Kudos
RichardWoking
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Ravenstar - I'll type this slowly as I appreciate you are not quick on the uptake.

Branson should not allows another group to use his brand without ensuring minimum service standards are in place.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi RichardWoking, 

Thanks for getting in touch. It sounds like you may also be caught up with a similar issue? I am sorry to see that if you are. 

Please pop across the header information from one of the delayed messages and we will be able to investigate further for you. Pop it across via the Purple Envelope, top right hand corner.

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 32
Flag for a moderator

RichardWoking wrote:

Ravenstar - I'll type this slowly as I appreciate you are not quick on the uptake.

Branson should not allows another group to use his brand without ensuring minimum service standards are in place.

I'm perfectly quick on the uptake thank you - At the end of the day Richard Branson does not run Virgin Media - He makes his money by licensing the Virgin name to them.  Now he could withdraw that permission and what do you think would happen were he to do that?

Answer - Virgin Media would have to rebrand.  Worst case scenario - he could even withdraw permission to allow the continues use of the virginmedia.com domain name.  Which would:

1. Severely impact in excess of 4.8 million customers.
2. Would consequently have even more of an impact on the Virgin brand.

If you want to complain about the running of a company - complain to the people who RUN the company.  I hate to say it but Richard Branson ain't one of them - he's a clever businessman who's made a name for himself, and uses that name to make even more money without having to set up new businesses himself.

Ravenstar68

0 Kudos
hoglet
Tuning in
Message 10 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I've also been experiencing similar delays (up to 3 days) forwarding an @hoglet.com email address to a @blueyonder.co.uk email address.Even my registration email yesterday to this forum took many hours to arrive!

I opened case with my domain host, and they investigated, escalated to second level support, and eventually came back with:

I have heard back from our system admins and after reviewing our email transfer logs and your forwarder, the delay was not from our system. The email was relayed and delivery was attempted seconds after the email arrived in our system. If it was not delivered to your inbox immediately, it may have been delayed by the recipient email server. Possible causes are email server load, spam filtering or even network issues on their end, but the 10 hour delay was not caused by our forwarder.

Emma, I'll send you the headers so you can try to get to the bottom of this.

Dave

0 Kudos