Menu
gascar
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Emails always error 503 , take forever

Using online webmail site I have to watch circling arrows for 20 minutes to get through my incoming mail. Multiple error 503 service not available messages. Online chat never available. Tried 3 computers. Ffox and IE, Win7. Every other website works. Useless.
Its been much the same for weeks.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Emails always error 503 , take forever

The earlier fault has cleared from the service status. Clear your browser cache and cookies and try again.

And see this:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Updated-Webmail-not-loading/td-p/3386169

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
gascar
Dialled in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I said it has been like it for a long time, so it isn't due to the never ending stream of breakdowns.

It's still the same now.

I regularly have to clear cache and cookies for Virgin, like no other website including google, yahoo..., which simply "work".

It's only Virgin which displays this behaviour.

Refresh the screen (slow, three dots , wait.........) click an email (wait, circular arrow.......) wait....... wait........

503 or give up after 30 seconds, refresh again or double click for a new window, ...........wait........wait.......wait.... sometimes it works, sometimes just another 503.

Often 3-4 cycles of this per email.

I looked at service status first.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

"It's only Virgin which displays this behaviour"

Really?

That may well be the case for your particular computer setup. It reflects your usage . Here is a link to the Gmail Help Forum site where the answer to a multitude of Gmail problems is - "clear cache and cookies". So, lots of other people could probably comment - "it's only Google sites which display this behaviour". 

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topicsearchin/gmail/clear$20cache$20and$20cookies

0 Kudos
gascar
Dialled in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, did you misunderstand?

It's only Virgin's email site which does this. What is it about my "usage"?

Gmail isn't a problem, it's fine. A few seconds sometimes, but  I never have to clear Google cookies, and it doesn't give errors..

I have 3 computers which I use - separately, not at the same time.

XP + Firefox

Win7 + Firefox

Win7 + IE

it's the same on all three.

The common denominator seems to be Virgin.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Nobody has misunderstood anything, including your determination to keep repeating what we already know about VM's web mail system; that it is operating less than optimally for some people, some of the time. 

But as BillC45 implies there could be an issue with your system. Practical experience tells us that some computers and some browsers do not get on well with VM's web mail. I use both Chrome and IE and don't get these issues. It might be worth giving Chrome a try (yes I know you'll think me irritating for suggesting to try another browser but I look for practical solutions to problems). The other choice, if you wish to access VM mail direct is to use an e-mail client. Not a popular suggestion with everyone but very much more durable than web mail access. I know. It is how I access my VM mail. 

If you really want to lower the temperature on all this, continue to use web mail and your VM address then try a permanent re-direction of your VM mail to Google. You will need to access direct once every 90 days to keep your VM address alive, but that seems to be a small frustration compared to your current concerns.

As I am sure you appreciate the Superusers do not work for VM (with one exception, and he makes this clear in his signature). We are users like you. We have no miraculous insight into why VM systems behave as they do. And as users of whatever rank we are free to offer impartial and pragmatic advice. VM Forum Team staff do read all these threads and they will feedback a summary of comments to VM operations. We do know that VM are working on the e-mail issues but we acknowledge that progress seems to be slow; bit like the e-mail system itself!

Best advice I can offer. Hope it helps but I'd understand if you still feel dissatisfied.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
gascar
Dialled in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You both misunderstood, or you wouldn't have given the answers you did. BillC45s was worse than useless.

"keep repeating what we already know "??

Hang on, I have no idea what "you already know".

Keep repeating?? - Error 503, mentioned once?? I've only been seeing it in the last several weeks but it's getting worse - so I look for somewhere to ask, that's all.  And no I don't know what "Superuser" means  or who you are or what you know - why would I?

Perhaps crappy Virgin has got to you, I have no way to know that. It certainly doesn't help for someone to say others have trouble with Google - what do I care about that others and their use of FREE Google? And the problem is my "usage"??? What? Is that supposed to useful?

As I said we DO get the same 503 issues on IE, exactly. Only with Virgin though.

What is "my system"?  VM modem/router, one pc connected by wire, others occasionally by wifi. Other than one old PC, pcs are fast and browsers are  latest versions.  What could be "my fault"?

I can try Chrome though I don't think it gives the same granularity on cookie control as FF or analysis - useful on some sites.  Any suggestions for a "lite" email client?

Thanks for the helpful parts of your reply.

Virgin are reading? - good - there's no other way to communicate.

Your Virgin Live Chat is never available, & you don't answer the phones, or we hold 20mins to be cut off. Broadband crawls for hours at a time, the phone has never worked after the first couple of weeks. TV isn't worth using, and the picture's shrinking (2 sets).  I call to report, you book an appointment several days away, then cancel it because you say the local problem has been fixed.
I called to ask what was wrong with broadband - "there's a problem in your area". So I ask why it doesn't say so on your site - "there's problem with that too".
And that's when the server is "reachable".

Oh and on this site "Email when someone replies" ........ doesn't work. Why should it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'm not going to get into a protracted debate with you. But I will answer the question about e-mail clients. Thunderbird from Mozilla is a good bet because it has automatic set-up of server details for VM.

Have a look at this VM help page:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks