Menu
rismay
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Emails Disappearing in Outlook

I file my emails in folders in Outlook. Usually my emails are OK there, but sometimes I open a folder, see an email (with its contents visible in the View pane) and then the email disappears before my eyes (in Outlook), without me touching any buttons. Tonight I spent an hour on Live Chat with Microsoft about it. As regards the email that disappeared today I can see it in when I log in to Virgin Media, but it has disappeared in Outlook.

The outcome of my Chat with Microsoft was that they believe it to be an IMAP issue between Virgin Media and Outlook; an issue which they believe has to be resolved by Virgin. The chap on Microsoft Chat Desk said he would log it in Microsoft Forums to be followed up with Virgin.

My Outlook account is generating lots of synch issue emails. Several happened to folders that I didn't have open at the time of the error message, but tonight it looked very much like the synch email was created at the same time as I saw this other email disappear before my eyes. The Synch Issues have references like the following - 8004DF03-0-0-560. Microsoft said such a reference was consistent with this being an IMAP issue.

I don't understand how emails work but I do know when they disappear without me doing anything.

I can see loads of other people raising queries about disappearing emails here and when I google the topic.

Please Virgin, what is your understanding of this? Do you agree this is an IMAP issue? And is it one you can resolve?

I am bewildered. I am concerned at losing valuable emails. And I am concerned by the widening gulf between the contents of my Virgin account and my Outlook account. It is compounded by the fact that when I rename a folder in Outlook, the renaming does not appear to ripple back into Virgin. My folder heirarchies are diverging. Perhaps that adds to the other issue, but whatever they are both a manestation of how the services are replicating.

Please can you help.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Emails Disappearing in Outlook

Hello rismay

I am sorry you are losing emails, it must be quite frustrating to see them disappearing. We will do our best to help. Basically IMAP is a protocol for how how Outlook communicates with our email server. It is designed to keep all devices synchronised. Do you have any other devices using that mailbox as if an email is deleted on them it would normally then delete it on Outlook. Not saying it is this but we have seen problems like this before on Apple devices Emails disappearing

IMAP is not perfect and as far as creating the folders it is best to create them in Webmail rather than Outlook as it only seems to propogate one way. 

It is possible to use POP3 rather than IMAP by the way, POP3 will download all emails to Outlook but will not allow any to be deleted by another device may be worth considering, settings may be found here Email settings change

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
rismay
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Nicola,

I do use other devices. Managing email on my phone is very important to me. When I am on my PC it is much easier for me to work in Outlook than Webmail.

I'll bear in mind what you've suggested.

Subsequent to my post below, I looked in Webmail and found one of the emails that had disappeared in Outlook. I was then able to try different things with that specific email eg. move it between folders firstly in Webmail and then in Outlook. I was able to observe the specific email behave differently in Outlook compared to in Webmail. I was also able to see it "disappear" again.

Some folders that I create in Outlook do appear in Webmail, but when I move folders or rename them I have a feeling that compounds the issue.

I am now horribly out of synch between Webmail and Outlook. There are loads of pieces of correspondence that I need to file (eg. replies to invoices) and it is proving very hard when they "disappear". Functionally I need to be able to manage them in Outlook.

If pop3 does not allow deletions on another device then that won't be suitable for me. Housekeeping on mobile is very helpful and efficient.

If as Microsoft implied, there is something that Virgin can tweak in the IMAP, that would be much appreciated.

If the specific email that I have been "testing" provides any useful information for root cause fixes then please do get in touch.

I will probably try to do some housekeeping from the Webmail end now but I hope you'll appreciate that users like me need Outlook and Webmail to remain in synch and for us to be able to manage them from both channels. If you could help expedite a fix that would be fabulous.

Thanks, Rod

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I think what you need to do is have the folder only in Outlook, I think you have the folder on the VM system and this is the problem. I have upwards of 50 folders on my Outlook, but none as on the VM system. When an email arrives in your inbox, and you want to keep it, just move it to your local folder either manually or by a rule. The data in then stored on your machine in the .pst file and not on VM servers.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos