Menu
Jezebeast
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Email

The verification email for joining this Community was the first time my email has worked in three days.  I did phone for help days ago, but the person on the phone took up half an hour of my time messing my laptop up before confessing that there is something wrong with the Virgin website which does not permit me to access my emails.  Now I am not even sure what my password is (because she changed it) so I can't access My Account.  I asked to complain and was told someone from 'second line' would phone me within 24 hours.  Lies.

My questions are as follows:

* Is it fraudulent and therefore illegal for Virgin to charge customers for a service which they clearly are not getting?

* Is it possible to ask Trading Standards to look into Virgin's false promises?

* Can we ask Which? or whoever to investigate the widespread and wholesale failure of Virgin's service delivery?

* Can we petition for this ridiculous state of affairs to be addressed by our political representatives?

* Virgin has clearly gone from bad to worse in the last couple of years - is the company sound?  Lack of service delivery and low staff morale would tend to suggest that all is not well.

* Why is it so difficult to give notice?  This should be plainly accessible on all such service and, again, is something worth campaigning for and demanding.

* As a last point in my rant - I am really, really **bleep** off that I have to resort to 'Community' and read a lot of online 'guidance' when the service provider should be sorting out the problem, not asking me and other people to do it for them.

Fed up and ready to move on. 

0 Kudos
Jezebeast
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

More email

Great news folks!  I have just received a 'new badge' and a 'praise where it's due' notification from Virgin. Smiley Happy  I did send a reply, but was informed that it was an automated response and I should return to this forum to post my reply. 

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email

Jezebeast wrote:

The verification email for joining this Community was the first time my email has worked in three days.  I did phone for help days ago, but the person on the phone took up half an hour of my time messing my laptop up before confessing that there is something wrong with the Virgin website which does not permit me to access my emails.  Now I am not even sure what my password is (because she changed it) so I can't access My Account.  I asked to complain and was told someone from 'second line' would phone me within 24 hours.  Lies.

My questions are as follows:

* Is it fraudulent and therefore illegal for Virgin to charge customers for a service which they clearly are not getting?
You only pay for 3 things, Broadband, Phone , and TV - anything else is a "Promotional Extra" which is provided free of charge, this includes email.  That said, if you are providing a service free or otherwise, I do beleive it is good practice to ensure it is in working order.

* Is it possible to ask Trading Standards to look into Virgin's false promises?
You can ask, however as it's a promotional extra it may be outside their remit.

* Can we ask Which? or whoever to investigate the widespread and wholesale failure of Virgin's service delivery?
Again it's a free world - Ask them, however I would ask this.  How is your Broadband?  How is your TV? and How is your phone?  Do they work as expected.  If so then you are hardly seeing a wholesale failure.  Besides although the web portal is definitely not up to scratch, there are other ways of getting at your mail.

* Can we petition for this ridiculous state of affairs to be addressed by our political representatives?
See above it's a free world, you can do anything you choose to do.  In fact both myself and Howard petitioned our MP's to look at Virgin's failure to ensure that legitimate emails were not being rejected by Virgin Media's mail servers.

* Virgin has clearly gone from bad to worse in the last couple of years - is the company sound?  Lack of service delivery and low staff morale would tend to suggest that all is not well.
I prefer not to make judgements on the state of a company from my limited staff interactions.  Call centre staff are often outsourced and work for the lowest bidder.

* Why is it so difficult to give notice?  This should be plainly accessible on all such service and, again, is something worth campaigning for and demanding.
Ring 150 and take the options for thinking of leaving us - 4 and 4.  Note though that depending on how long your contract has to run you may be charged for the amount of time outstanding - up to a maximum fee of £250 pound (this limit was imposed by Ofcom)  However if your only reason for leaving is the state of the email service, I would arain refer to the fact that it is a free extra.

* As a last point in my rant - I am really, really **bleep** off that I have to resort to 'Community' and read a lot of online 'guidance' when the service provider should be sorting out the problem, not asking me and other people to do it for them.
Virtually every company uses Support Forums, with so many different computer configurations out there, it's virtually impossible to provide comprehensive support for every conceivable problem.

Fed up and ready to move on. 

Personally, I never let online support mess with my PC - I'm happy to let them view it if I want to demonstrate a problem, but I will not let them change anything.  As for resetting your password, he shouldn't be doing this without - 

1. Asking your permission.
  2. Making sure you know what it's been set to.

There are two options for dealing with the password either.  

• Ring back to 150 and ask them to reset it again, as the first agent has locked you out.
  • Try the forgotten password link on the login page. (I'd possibly try this first).

@ForumTeam - Can you investigate whether the support team tried calling back, and if not why not?  Clearly, something is wrong here.  Can you also investigate, how an agent has managed to change a password and NOT inform the user of the new password?

Once you have sorted the password issue, I would look into other avenues of viewing your mail.  I personally prefer IMAP mail clients, and Virgin has made inroads into making Mozilla Thunderbird remarkably easy to configure with an email account.  Just put in your email address and password and it will find the right settings.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/

There are many other free email clients out there, just do a Google search - However, avoid Live Mail 2012.  It's no longer supported by Microsoft, meaning it will no longer receive security updates.

Finally - the strongest advice out there is to move away from ISP provided email as your main email provision.  While there are a few that do provide "email for life" many only provide it for as long as you are a customer.  Meaning that if you leave for whatever reason you lose your email address.

By moving away from an ISP email service you are cutting one of the most significant barriers to switching ISP.

While I accept that many people find the challenge of changing daunting, it doesn't have to be.  Start by setting up a free account with Gmail, Outlook.com or one of the many other providers out there.  Let your main contacts know your change of address and set up forwarding from your Virgin account to your new address to catch any others that you've missed, changing them as you go.  In time you'll be relying less and less on your ISP email.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Jezebeast
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for that Tim - that was useful.  I just find it very frustrating to pay Virgin for broadband and then not be able to access my Virgin email.  I don't watch much TV and I never use my landline phone.  The broadband service was also abysmal for a very long time, with lots of pathetic excuses around cabinets and thick walls and nonsense. I am very non-tech, which does not help in these situations. But I do know that, sadly, the UK has some of the worst broadband service in the world. And I think it is defeatist to suggest that we are being given 'free' extras when it comes to something as vital as email and we just have to suck it up. It is not a free world - we are all paying through the nose - and I fork out £60-£70 pm to Virgin - for a shockingly poor service.  That can't be right and it should be controlled and regulated by government in the same way as our water, gas and electricity are. Funnily enough, I have been able to access my emails since last night. Go figure.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jezebeast, 

Welcome to the forums< i am sorry to see that you have been having trouble with your webmail. 

I am glad to see Ravenstar68, has been helping you with this Smiley Happy

I have taken a look and I can't see that the agent tried to call you back apologies for this. I will feed this back. I have no notes on the password change so I will also feed this back, hopefully it is just a training issue. I will not be able to disclose the action taken from the feedback as that will be personal to the agent, sorry I can't advise further on that. 

I have also been looking further into the email issue and I can see there is currently issue with webmail were some customers are intermittently unable to access webmail. So best thing to do would be to get a client mail set up if you have not done so already. 

That way you will always have access to the emails when you need them. 

Many thanks

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos