Menu
Highlighted
JohnBanks
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Email spam

Hi

Can anyone advise me how long it takes once you have blocked a sender to kick in. I went to email filter rules yesterday morning and blocked a sender of spam email of which i have been receiving 250 a day. They are still arriving now. Any advice will be appreciated

John Banks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Email spam

@Graham_A  has identified the problem and solution; filter rules only run against messages delivered to the inbox. The solution is not to reject all spam but instead to have all spam flagged but delivered to inbox, apply discard rule, and move any message flagged as spam to Spam folder. To do this:

• select , Settings, Spam Settings, and select Flag a message as SPAM but deliver to Inbox
  • add a new filter rule that appears after your discard rule with the condition: Subject contains: <SPAM> action: Move to folder: Spam
    Note, filter rules execute in descending order and ≡ handles can be used to reorder rules (by drag and drop)
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

There is something odd here. The only way of doing this would be via VM web mail and there is no setting that allows you to block a particular sender. All you can do is set up a filter in web mail to direct the spam direct to trash. That works straightaway. If you have done this via an e-mail client settings then the mail will still get through. You may need to explain more so we can help.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If you are using webmail filters then add a Flag mail with action to provide a visual indicator of the rule having executed against the message; more than likely the scope of the filter rule's condition(s) is inadequate to match the message.

0 Kudos
JohnBanks
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply, i went to email filter rules and filled it in as follows

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The filter rule below will discard messages from spammer@example.com
2017-12-06-00.jpeg
If the filter rule failed to match (execute) against a message examine the message source by:

1. select the message
  2. select ≡ and then View source
  3. locate the line beginning From: and confirm the text string following would match the condition specified in the filter rule, for example From: spammer <spammer@example.com>

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Also it is worth noting that if the emails are being identified as spam by Virgin Media then user compiled filters will have no effect. For your own filters to be effective you need to change the default spam settings so spam is sent to your inbox rather than the spam folder.
JohnBanks
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply i have tried this but the emails are still getting through, over 200 yesterday
0 Kudos
JohnBanks
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham the emails are going directly into spam folder does that mean i cannot block a particular one, If i change the setting to inbox i will have 200 plus a day to contend with. Would it be better just to reject all spam
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Graham_A  has identified the problem and solution; filter rules only run against messages delivered to the inbox. The solution is not to reject all spam but instead to have all spam flagged but delivered to inbox, apply discard rule, and move any message flagged as spam to Spam folder. To do this:

• select , Settings, Spam Settings, and select Flag a message as SPAM but deliver to Inbox
  • add a new filter rule that appears after your discard rule with the condition: Subject contains: <SPAM> action: Move to folder: Spam
    Note, filter rules execute in descending order and ≡ handles can be used to reorder rules (by drag and drop)
0 Kudos
JohnBanks
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Graham will give tis a try tommor morning as i am out this afternoon
0 Kudos