Menu
BruceS
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Email settings for Outlook 2016

I can't set up my @virginmedia email account in Outlook 2016. I have input all the settings as per instructions on manual email settings in Virgin help, but keep getting the following message:

Send test e-mail message: An unknown error occurred, error code: 0x800cce05

Please help!

Thank you

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Email settings for Outlook 2016

I don't think it's your settings that's the problem.

The annoying thing about Outlook is some of the cryptic error messages.

What bothers me is this.  Your server unexpectedly terminated the connection.

1. Some of the reasons for this are - Problems at imap.virginmedia.com
2. Problems with your PC disconnecting the server from it's end?

When you say the Nexus can connect I'm assuming this connected over Wireless.  If so then we can rule out option 1.

Which leaves option 2 - What Antivirus package are you currently using?  What happens if you temporarily disable it and then try setting up the account with it disabled.

As for the settings here's my manual setup with imap.virginmedia.com in Outlook 2016

Clicking More Settings then Outgoing

And finally still in More Settings the Advanced Tab

However I suspect these are the settings you are currently trying.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

That is usually down to corrupt files, please try the SFC fix mentioned here: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email-Cloud-and-webspace/Windows-10-Mail-App-fix-for-0x85050013-...

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
BruceS
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your response. Tried that but now I have different error messages!

Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Cannot find the e-mail server. Verify the server information in your account properties.

Send test e-mail message: Cannot find the e-mail server. Verify the server information in your account properties.

Very frustrating! :-(

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi BruceS,

Thanks for posting and I'm sorry to hear you're still unable to get your email on Outlook 2016 working.

I've provided a link here to our manual settings page. Could you check the settings you have input to the account on Outlook are the same as on here please. Does the error message also give you a reference similar to the one you posted previously 0x800cce05?

Kind regards

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
BruceS
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. I have used both pop3 and IMAP settings as identified and both have failed! Error message below:

Log onto incoming mail server (IMAP): Your server unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

I also have a Nexus 9 tablet and when I set up my virgin email address via gmail on there it worked without me having to input any settings! I looked at the settings on there and copied them into Outlook but no luck there either!

I am getting rather fed-up! Is this a Microsoft or Virgin issue? The error message seems to suggest broadband and hence Virgin, but I know others have had problems with Windows 10 and the new Outlook so it could well be both.

Can someone please just tell me the exact settings I need to make it work??

Thank you

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I don't think it's your settings that's the problem.

The annoying thing about Outlook is some of the cryptic error messages.

What bothers me is this.  Your server unexpectedly terminated the connection.

1. Some of the reasons for this are - Problems at imap.virginmedia.com
2. Problems with your PC disconnecting the server from it's end?

When you say the Nexus can connect I'm assuming this connected over Wireless.  If so then we can rule out option 1.

Which leaves option 2 - What Antivirus package are you currently using?  What happens if you temporarily disable it and then try setting up the account with it disabled.

As for the settings here's my manual setup with imap.virginmedia.com in Outlook 2016

Clicking More Settings then Outgoing

And finally still in More Settings the Advanced Tab

However I suspect these are the settings you are currently trying.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

BruceS
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much! Problem solved at last! I seemed to have been missing the SSL bits out on the advanced settings tab - silly me!

All working perfectly now.

Thanks again for your excellent, detailed reply.

Cheers.

JanJ
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have followed what is advised here but still can not get my virgin media account into outlook 2016

I am asked for user name and pw for imap.virginmedia.com - which is already entered in the boxes- then when I press ok it just comeback again - and again

The only way to end this is to press cancel which results in the message that the connection failed.

This is becoming a nightmare and I will appreciate any help

0 Kudos
BruceS
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Have you clicked the 'More Settings' tab in the bottom right corner of that first screenshot? This takes you into the tabs where all the other information from the subsequent screenshots needs to be entered. All this needs to be done before you click on OK! 😊
JanJ
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for replying. yes I have done all that is advised there.

The email account I am having the problem with is my primary microsoft account. I have added another virginmedia account without any problem

0 Kudos