cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email settings change

VirginMedia
Virgin Media Staff
Virgin Media Staff

As we continue to make improvements to our email service, we’re making some changes to the email servers that your email client or mobile app uses to send and receive mail.

In order for these updates to be implemented as smoothly as possible, we recommend that you change any mail client settings to those listed in the tables below.

• If you only access your email via our website – Webmail – then you don’t need to change anything. However, if you use an email client like Outlook, Windows Mail, Thunderbird, Mail app or Incredimail, or if you download mail to a portable device, then this may affect you.
  • If you use a VirginMedia.com email address, then please take the time to double-check your settings – they should be correct already.
  • If you use a Blueyonder, Ntlworld or Virgin.Net email address, you will probably need to update your settings accordingly.

IMAP4 Settings 

IMAP4 server name

imap.virginmedia.com

IMAP4 SSL                

Enabled

IMAP4 port                 

IMAP4 authentication

Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)

IMAP4 username        

Full email address, for example, richard.branson@virginmedia.com

Note: If you update your username in My Virgin Media, this email address will not change.

IMAP4 SPA (Secure Password Authentication)       

Disabled

POP3 Settings

POP3 server name    

pop3.virginmedia.com

POP3 SSL

Enabled

POP3 port                 

POP3 authentication

POP3 username        

Note: If you update your username in My Virgin Media, this email address will not change.

POP3 SPA (Secure Password Authentication)       

Disabled

SMTP Settings

SMTP server name    

smtp.virginmedia.com

SMTP SSL

Enabled

SMTP port                 

SMTP authentication

SMTP username        

Existing ntlworld, blueyonder, and Virgin.net email settings will continue to work for the present time, but it is recommended that you make these changes at the earliest opportunity.

Q. Why are you changing the setting?
A. To make the setting up of email clients easier for everyone, rather than having four different sets of servers, everyone will just use the same settings.

Q. Why have my old emails re-download?
A. Some email clients may re-download all emails in the inbox when you make the change to the setting. This is a one off change and won’t happen again

Q. Does this mean you'll be getting rid of blueyonder/ntlworld/virgin.net addresses?
A. No. The virginmedia.com servers have been able to support email addresses ending in the above three domains for some time and will continue to do so.

If you need any further assistance with this, please search the community for Helpful Answers, or pop a new post in our Email board.

0 REPLIES 0