Menu
nolly1953
Dialled in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Email settings Change Query

I came across the "Email settings Change" posting pinned on this forum by Sofa Bear at 

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438

I have an ntlworld account.

I followed the instructions to the letter in my Windows Live Mail account settings but received an error when I tried to receive emails.  

Whilst following the instructions I had changed the POP3 server name from pop3.ntlworld.com to pop3.virginmedia.com and the SMTP server name from smtp.ntlworld.com to smtp.virginmedia.com.

I have resolved the issue by changing these back to the original settings.  

I can only assume that this is an error in the posting or at the very least an ambiguity.  Perhaps Sofa Bear could could confirm this for me and if so, correct the posting?

nolly1953

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Email settings Change Query

@nolly1953

Here's the most important advice I can give.

STOP USING LIVE MAIL 2012!!

While it does still work, its support cycle has now ended on Jan 10th this year, meaning that there will be no new updates of any kind.

Here's the official Microsoft Support Page for Essentials

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13785/essentials-2012-release-notes

Even before reaching its end of life there were increasing problems with Live Mail.  For example, the feature that integrated Live Mail and one drive has been broken meaning it's default way of getting pictures into an email no longer works.  It' possible to insert pictures as attachments, but this feature still catches users out.

In addition, Microsoft ended the connector service that allowed live mail to access Exchange accounts, forcing users of Hotmail and other Microsoft services to either switch mail programs or change to using IMAP to retain some functionality, but lose the calendar integration.

In short, you are using an increasingly broken product, and it's not going to get any better.

However, if you still wish to use Windows Live Mail 2012 - YOU MUST MAKE SURE YOU@VE CHANGED ALL THE REQUIRED SETTINGS.

In the Servers Tab

wlmserv.JPG

In the Advanced Tab

wlmadv.JPG

You MUST make sure that the port numbers and SSL settings match the image above.  You can use different settings in the delivery section if you wish, but note that Virgin's implementation of POP3 only hides emails from future POP exchanges rather than deletes them altogether when they are "removed" from the server.  They are still accessible over IMAP and Webmail.

Note: that if you access your emails using multiple devices POP3 is NOT the best option anyway.  You'd be better off switching to IMAP.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You'll need to give us more details to ensure we can help

The setting change involve ensuring that all your settings match the listed information. This includes ports and security settings, rather than just the server names.

When you change your settings to the virginmedia.com servers, did you ensure that all these other settings were also updated.

If so, and you're still getting an issue, can you detail exactly how what is shown in your settings.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Also note that the username is different.

In the old format it used to be alright just to use the first part of the email address.  e.g. joebloggs.  You now need to make sure you use the full email address joebloggs@ntlworld.com

Tim

0 Kudos
nolly1953
Dialled in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you both.  

As far as I am aware, I made all of the required changes.

Perhaps you could just tell me this to let me know if I have read the original post correctly:

Does a customer with an ntlworld email address have to change their POP3 server name from pop3.ntlworld.com to pop3.virginmedia.com and their SMTP server name from smtp.ntlworld.com to smtp.virginmedia.com?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

nolly1953

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

They do as the old settings will stop working eventually. But you also need to make sure the ports and security settings all match along with the username and password details.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@nolly1953

Here's the most important advice I can give.

STOP USING LIVE MAIL 2012!!

While it does still work, its support cycle has now ended on Jan 10th this year, meaning that there will be no new updates of any kind.

Here's the official Microsoft Support Page for Essentials

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13785/essentials-2012-release-notes

Even before reaching its end of life there were increasing problems with Live Mail.  For example, the feature that integrated Live Mail and one drive has been broken meaning it's default way of getting pictures into an email no longer works.  It' possible to insert pictures as attachments, but this feature still catches users out.

In addition, Microsoft ended the connector service that allowed live mail to access Exchange accounts, forcing users of Hotmail and other Microsoft services to either switch mail programs or change to using IMAP to retain some functionality, but lose the calendar integration.

In short, you are using an increasingly broken product, and it's not going to get any better.

However, if you still wish to use Windows Live Mail 2012 - YOU MUST MAKE SURE YOU@VE CHANGED ALL THE REQUIRED SETTINGS.

In the Servers Tab

wlmserv.JPG

In the Advanced Tab

wlmadv.JPG

You MUST make sure that the port numbers and SSL settings match the image above.  You can use different settings in the delivery section if you wish, but note that Virgin's implementation of POP3 only hides emails from future POP exchanges rather than deletes them altogether when they are "removed" from the server.  They are still accessible over IMAP and Webmail.

Note: that if you access your emails using multiple devices POP3 is NOT the best option anyway.  You'd be better off switching to IMAP.

Tim