Menu
Gc0210vse
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Email rules blocking mail not sent to me

how can i add a rule in email settings to stop email that do not have my name in to or cc

many thanks 

Garry 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email rules blocking mail not sent to me

Do you mean that you wan't to reject only those e-mails that have been blind copied to you - "bcc". If so are you fully aware of what you are asking? I use blind copying to protect the identity of peoples' addresses when sending out mail to lists of friends etc.

If your real concern is that blind copying is being used to send you spam or other objectionable e-mail you may end up throwing out the baby with the bath water and discarding mail that was legitimately sent to you.

Others will be able to advise you how to construct the rule you want - if it is possible.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

HowardML's concerns are justified and using filters to filter spam is a thankless task however should you still wish to proceed then try:

1. Create a filter rule similar to the following (change me@virginmedia.com to your own email address)
    2017-04-01-00.jpeg
    Make sure Process subsequent rules option is not ticked.

2. Create a second rule similar to the following:
    2017-04-01-01.jpeg
    You may change the Select folder to Spam or Trash but be aware these folder are automatically cleared of messages older then 30 days at the start of each month.

3. Filters execute in descending order; if the order is incorrect use the ≡ handles to re-order.
    2017-04-01-03.jpeg
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

HowardML wrote:

Do you mean that you wan't to reject only those e-mails that have been blind copied to you - "bcc". If so are you fully aware of what you are asking? I use blind copying to protect the identity of peoples' addresses when sending out mail to lists of friends etc.

If your real concern is that blind copying is being used to send you spam or other objectionable e-mail you may end up throwing out the baby with the bath water and discarding mail that was legitimately sent to you.

Others will be able to advise you how to construct the rule you want - if it is possible.

with outlook 2007 ( so with any outlook, probably) it is very simple to write a rule like:  if not addressed to me ... delete it... unless sender is in my contacts...

that takes care of the above concern. you can vary this to cover cc, bcc, or you can replace contacts with a specified address book

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The thing is guys Bcc: works differently depending on email clients.

The whole point of Bcc is to hide email addresses  There are situations in which this is desired for security reasons.

However Bcc is implemented in different ways,  The most common is to put everyone's address in the Bcc field when sending the mail.  The mail client then does one of three things.

1) Sends the mail with an empty Bcc: field with nothing else.
2) Leaves out the Bcc: field altogether.
3) Sends each person in the Bcc: field a tailored copy of the mail with a Bcc: field ONLY showing their address. (Gmail's webmail uses this approach)

There are a lot of mail platforms that use the first or second options.  So as Howard has correctly pointed out.  You can end up losing legitimate mail as well as spam if you try to block mail that does not have your email address.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Gc0210vse
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

thanks guys
i am getting spam silly emails asking if i want to see the pictures .....

not really but they seem to come from different addresses and i tried a filter but ended up blocking ryanair ticket confirmation as well

any suggestions welcome
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If these emails contain a particular combination of words that would not occur in your usual stream of emails then try filtering them with a condition similar to that following:

2017-04-19-00.jpeg

Be aware that it does not take much effort to defeat the above filter by using a mixture of character sets.

0 Kudos