Menu
WilliamB
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Email routing

Any reason why some emails get routed via mout.kundenserver.de cos it seems to add about 8 hours to the trip. and the sender and receiver are both in the UK.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Email routing

mout.kundenserver.de is a 1&1 email server.

Try analysing the email here for information concerning the 8 hour delay.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You are emailing someone who has a domain name registered with a company called 1&1. They (and their servers) are based in Germany.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Because that is where the email service provider is located or has chosen to locate their service.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The answer is simple. 1&1 is an e-mail forwarder. This means that someone in the UK who is using their own domain name such as fred@fred.co.uk will contract with 1&1 to manage their domain and provide that domain with an e-mail service. More than likely the forwarder will send the mail onwards to "fred" at his gmail address or such like. But the world sees "fred" as having a consistent address no matter which e-mail service he uses and where physically he is in the world.

Fred could be anywhere in the world and so could the recipient. But 1&1 use an e-mail server in Germany which is why the mail is routed that way.

Why there might be an eight hour delay in your receiving the mail is because VM may be rate limiting the number of connections it is prepared to accept from 1&1 servers as an anti-spam measure. The rate limiting may have got a bit out of kilter again (you'll have to test for that using the e-mail analyser that you have been pointed to). We have asked VM to look at rate limiting again so this situation shouldn't be permanent.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

mout.kundenserver.de is a 1&1 email server.

Try analysing the email here for information concerning the 8 hour delay.

0 Kudos
WilliamB
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

But why should an email sent in the UK to someone in the UK need to go via Germany. It's complete madness.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You are emailing someone who has a domain name registered with a company called 1&1. They (and their servers) are based in Germany.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Because that is where the email service provider is located or has chosen to locate their service.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The answer is simple. 1&1 is an e-mail forwarder. This means that someone in the UK who is using their own domain name such as fred@fred.co.uk will contract with 1&1 to manage their domain and provide that domain with an e-mail service. More than likely the forwarder will send the mail onwards to "fred" at his gmail address or such like. But the world sees "fred" as having a consistent address no matter which e-mail service he uses and where physically he is in the world.

Fred could be anywhere in the world and so could the recipient. But 1&1 use an e-mail server in Germany which is why the mail is routed that way.

Why there might be an eight hour delay in your receiving the mail is because VM may be rate limiting the number of connections it is prepared to accept from 1&1 servers as an anti-spam measure. The rate limiting may have got a bit out of kilter again (you'll have to test for that using the e-mail analyser that you have been pointed to). We have asked VM to look at rate limiting again so this situation shouldn't be permanent.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
WilliamB
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks all for the posts. I'm now have a better understanding. Thanks you all again.
0 Kudos
coenoby
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just for further clarification, 1 and 1 has its headquarters in Montabaur in Germany.

Apologies if that has already been said in an earlier post.

Coenoby

If someone posts a helpful message you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as an Accepted Solution.
0 Kudos