Menu
nigelrjf
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 68
Flag for a moderator

Email rejection error "too many simultaneous sessions"

I use VM broadband but gmail as my email account. In the last four days, I have had three messages to other blueyonder or virginmedia accounts delayed and finally failed, all for the reason of "too many simultaneous sessions" shown below. Whose problem is this and how do I get it fixed?

Thanks - Nigel
--

Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Delay) 
Delivery to the following recipient has been delayed:
      XXXXXX@blueyonder.co.uk
 Message will be retried for 1 more day(s)
Technical details of temporary failure:
The recipient server did not accept our requests to connect. Learn more at https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7720
[mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net. 212.54.56.11: 421 mx4.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net bizsmtp Too many simultaneous sessions]
[mx.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net. 212.54.58.11: 421 mx5.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net bizsmtp Too many simultaneous sessions]

[MOD EDIT: Hyperlink in Email address removed as it linked to personal information, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 68
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email rejection error "too many simultaneous sessions"

Hi nigelrjf,

Thanks for posting and apologies for the sending problems to Virgin email addresses, there has been a mail platform fault over the past week or so that I suspect may have been the cause, this has now been resolved so hopefully the sending problems have cleared.

If you have any further issues please let us know.

Kind Rgds

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
jbraner
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 68
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ralph,

This is not fixed yet. I've created a gmail account (because of all the problems I'm having with my blueyonder account) and it can't send email to my blueyonder account.

After a couple of days, I get the "simultaneous connections" messages back and also

"Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain blueyonder.co.uk by mx.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net. [212.54.58.11].

The error that the other server returned was:

452 4.1.0 Ratelimiting bounces from your ip 74.125.82.67. You are listed on ips.backscatterer.org2

NOTE: 74.125.82.67 is not my ip address - I don't know what it is.

Anyway - I just tried sending from gmail to the by account now - and it still doesn't work.

rgds,

John B
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 68
Flag for a moderator

74.125.82.67 is a google ip address, presumably used by their email sending servers.  It looks as if it has been flagged on one of the blacklists used by VM to protect their customers from spam

There are other forum users more knowledgeable than me on this one so they may chip in.

nigelrjf
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 68
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ralph R

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately the problems have not resolved themselves.

Around 6pm  yesterday, I received  a delayed warning from gmail to a blueyonder.co.uk email address with the same error message as before:

[mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net. 212.54.56.11: 421 mx2.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net bizsmtp Too many simultaneous sessions]
[mx.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net. 212.54.58.11: 421 mx2.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net bizsmtp Too many simultaneous sessions] 

Around 10pm yesterday, I received another warning re an email to a virgin.net email address which gave the blacklist message reported by others:

Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain virgin.net by mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net. [212.54.56.11].
The error that the other server returned was: 452 4.1.0 Ratelimiting bounces from your ip 209.85.217.195. You are listed on ips.backscatterer.org

Please advise.

Regards - Nigel

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 68
Flag for a moderator

Well this is weird.

Both addresses are outbound servers from Google, yet the mail server is rate limiting them because they are on backscatterer

The error that the other server returned was: 452 4.1.0 Ratelimiting bounces from your ip 209.85.217.195. You are listed on ips.backscatterer.org

I tried sending a couple of mails from my Google to my blueyonder account and they went through fine.  However they did use different outbound servers to the ones you were using.

Virgin need to check the mail logs on the inbound server.

Unless Google are sending the equivalent of a sender callout to check the recipient BEFORE sending the mail, there's no reason that this mail should be rate limited.

Bounces normally have a specific format in that they have no sender envelope address - (normally shown in the header as a return-receipt).

Also a 452 error shouldn't result in an outright rejection.  Rather it should cause Google's server to back off and try again later - Unless however it already has and the amount of retries has been exceeded.

@Ralph_R What is being done to address the 421 errors.  These are on the inbound server not the outbound ones.  This issue is separate to the errors on Virgin's outbound smtp relays.  Remember the inbound one's are in a completely different location.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

hickson1
Joining in
Message 7 of 68
Flag for a moderator

I am also getting his problem trying to send e-mails to and blueyonder.co.uk email address from google mail 

blueyonder.co.uk

Message will be retried for 2 more day(s)

Technical details of temporary failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain blueyonder.co.uk by mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net. [212.54.56.11].

The error that the other server returned was:
452 4.1.0 Ratelimiting bounces from your ip 74.125.82.67. You are listed on ips.backscatterer.org

Then two days later 

@blueyonder.co.uk

Technical details of permanent failure:
The recipient server did not accept our requests to connect. Learn more at https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7720
[mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net. 212.54.56.11: 421 mx1.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net bizsmtp Too many simultaneous sessions
]
[mx.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net. 212.54.58.11: 421 mx2.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net bizsmtp Too many simultaneous sessions

[MOD EDIT: Hyperlink in Email address removed as it linked to personal information, please review the Forum Guidelines]

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
mand41
Tuning in
Message 8 of 68
Flag for a moderator

I too keep getting these errors to Ntlworld and virginmedia email from my gmail accounts, OK from icloud.

Technical details of permanent failure:
[mx.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net. 212.54.58.11: 421 mx5.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net bizsmtp Too many simultaneous sessions
]
[mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net. 212.54.56.11: 421 mx1.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net bizsmtp Too many simultaneous sessions
]

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 68
Flag for a moderator

Hello mand41

Thank you for the information. We have been investigating this issue and this appears not to be a fault but related to a new feature we have introduced on our platform that delays messages and reduces the amount of connections an SMTP server can make to our inbound servers. If our filters detect the mail could be suspicious for example RBL issues instead of marking it as spam it delays the delivery and reduces the amount of connections that can be made. This is to deter actual spammers from making an attack but still allows mail through if it is genuine, just at a reduced rate. 

Hope that helps.

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 68
Flag for a moderator

In other words - you're using Graylisting.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.