Menu
jackanapes
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Email problems with Blackberry 10 device

For more than  two months or so I have been trying to get to the bottom of two specific problems that I have been having with my Blackberry Passport. I used to have the same problems with the BlackBerry Q10 There are confined to Virgin Media accounts. 

First issue

Some emails accounts will not open. I see a revolving circle and they eventually time out without opening. Sometimes they will open after a couple of days. This only occurs with my blueyonder.co.uk and virginmedia.com IMAP accounts. Gmail, Hotmail and work emails open normally on the BlackBerry. I do not have any similar problem if I use an Android device or my PC.

BlackBerry support asked me to download and email to them the log file from the Passport immediately after one of these problem emails timed out. They have emailed to me an extract of the log, as follows:

<snip>

Apr 10 17:32:24.270             pimcore.4583502..0                 info  10900  [249508k][**********][78][p10] pim.imap.new_connection  ERROR    IMAP communication aborted: socket error: <class 'IOError'> - Too many read 0

Apr 10 17:32:24.289             pimcore.4583502..0                 info  10900  [249508k][**********][78][p10] pim.notification         INFO     Setting account with transient error: The server for account [************]@virginmedia.com [imap.virginmedia.com, port: 993] can't be reached. The settings might be incorrect or the server could be temporarily offline. Check your settings and try again.({'account_id': **********.

Apr 10 17:32:24.289             pimcore.4583502..0                 info  10900    'errstr': "socket error: <class 'IOError'> - Too many read 0",

Apr 10 17:32:24.289             pimcore.4583502..0                 info  10900    'port': 993,

Apr 10 17:32:24.289             pimcore.4583502..0                 info  10900    'server': 'imap.virginmedia.com',

Apr 10 17:32:24.289             pimcore.4583502..0                 info  10900    'status': 500},

Apr 10 17:32:24.289             pimcore.4583502..0                 info  10900   ())

</snip>

(I have substituted my account details in the extract above with asterisks.)

BlackBerry support say they think that there is a problem with my email settings. However I have verified that my email settings reflect those given on the Virgin Media website, which I have been using for years. I don't understand how I could receive any emails at all, or receive the headers for the emails which won't open, if my email settings were incorrect.

Is anyone able to suggest a solution (other than get rid of the BlackBerry)? 

Second issue

Emails sent from Virgin Media accounts on my passport disappear. They are received at destination but do not show anywhere on the BlackBerry device or in sent items on webmail or my PC. BlackBerry support say that this may be related to the first issue. Again, this does not occur with android devices or my PC.

Any help with these problems will be much appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email problems with Blackberry 10 device

Hi jackanapes,

Thanks for getting in touch, I can see from posts in other threads that this email issue on your Q10 has been ongoing on for some time by the looks of thingsSmiley Sad

Clutching at straws a little her but have you tried a password change on the problem accounts, I'd also be interested to know if the same problems occur if you set your account up with pop3 settings rather than IMAP.

Speak to you soon.

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
jackanapes
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your suggestion, but how likely is it that changing the password would make a difference? I have a fair number of devices and several VM accounts and it would be quite a lot of hassle to change them all.

I haven't tried using POP3 as I don't want to risk wiping messages off the server (the Blackberry does not seem to give an option to leave them on the server as e.g. Outlook does). In general I prefer to use IMAP so that all devices can access my email in the same way.

Does the log extract give any clue to what the problem may be?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi jackanapes,

Thanks for coming back, to be honest the logs don't tell me a great deal bar there been a reported failure in connection, hence the suggestion to try a change of password on one of your accounts or to try POP settings to help rule these out as an issue.

Do the same problems occur if connected via Virgin or if connected on your mobile connection?

Cheers

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
jackanapes
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I notice the problem opening emails mostly when I am connected via wifi (Virgin Superhub or other wifi) rather than on my mobile connection. Most of the time I have wifi access, or if I don't, the mobile connection is not good enough to send or receive emails.

0 Kudos
jackanapes
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Have now tried changing the password, but it has made no difference.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi jackanapes,

Thanks for trying the suggested password change, at least we can rule this out as a problem.

Again probably stating the obvious but have you tried removing and then re-adding your email accounts?

Looking at some of the BlackBerry forums I can see that a battery pull and reboot can some times help with this kind of problem.

Speak to you soon.

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
jackanapes
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I did all of those things before contacting BlackBerry support.

0 Kudos
jackanapes
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

PS. If you look at BlackBerry and Crackberry forums you will see that I am not the only one who has had these problems, which only seem to occur with Virgin Media mail accounts on BlackBerry 10 devices.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hmmm..... really is frustrating and I take you're point about other Blackeberry users reporting similar problems.

Is there a ping or trace route ap on the phone that you can use to try and contact the virginmedia.com mail servers to see if they're responding?

Regards

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

0 Kudos