Menu
MaggieAH
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Email failure to tiscali accounts

When sending group emails to a pre-existing group with whom I have had no problems up until now, all of a sudden ones sent to 7 different Tiscal and talk talk accounts will not go through. I get a bounce back message about 3 days later saying the messages timed out.   Some of the recipients have asked Tiscal / talk talk and they assure them there is nothing wrong with their accounts. Any ideas what might be happening and how to fix it please?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Email failure to tiscali accounts

Tiscali/Talk Talk are currently 'rate limiting' emails from Virgin Media domains.  This means that many will get bounced back with the message you are seeing. There is nothing you can do as an individual to correct this other than to set up a non VM email address and use that instead.  We are led to believe that Virign Media have raised this issue with Talk Talk.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Tiscali/Talk Talk are currently 'rate limiting' emails from Virgin Media domains.  This means that many will get bounced back with the message you are seeing. There is nothing you can do as an individual to correct this other than to set up a non VM email address and use that instead.  We are led to believe that Virign Media have raised this issue with Talk Talk.

MaggieAH
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That's great many thanks
0 Kudos
HONDAman1
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I also am having e mails returned undelivered from TalkTalk, all other addresses are receiving ok. Reported to Virginmedia and contacted TalkTalk.

Neither seem to have an answer. It is TalkTalk customers who are the losers.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

HONDAman1 wrote:

I also am having e mails returned undelivered from TalkTalk, all other addresses are receiving ok. Reported to Virginmedia and contacted TalkTalk.

Neither seem to have an answer. It is TalkTalk customers who are the losers.

And it's TalkTalk who need to resolve this one.  They've done what Virgin did earlier this year and introduced rate limiting as an anti spam measure.  Just like Virgin did, they seem to be getting it wrong.  But the fix HAS to come from their end.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
banjo1t
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I am a talktalk customer, one of my friends is a Virgin media customer, I can send emails to them no problem, but they are unable to send any to me.

I have spoken to talktalk regarding this and they assure me, the fault lies with VM??

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

banjo1t wrote:

I am a talktalk customer, one of my friends is a Virgin media customer, I can send emails to them no problem, but they are unable to send any to me.

I have spoken to talktalk regarding this and they assure me, the fault lies with VM??

Often first line support doesn't get how email works.  Particularly when it comes to rate limiting.

Here's what happens

a) Virgin connects to TalkTalk
b) TalkTalk sends back a 4xx error - typically 421 too many connections.
c) Virgin queues the call to try again later and goes back to step a)

Ideally when Virgin try again TalkTalk SHOULD accept the connection, but if they don't then at some point the retry attempt timer expires, often several days later.  At which point the mail is returned to sender.

So - Given that it's talktalk that are refusing the connection - where do you think the blame lies?

Bear in mind I've used this argument to put Virgin Media on the spot when their own servers were doing the same things to other inbound connections earlier this year, and to put BT on the spot a few years ago as well.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
banjo1t
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have another friend who is with VM, they have sent me an email no problem,

So it now sounds like, misoperation! and nothing to do with either servers.

Thanks for the feedback!

0 Kudos