Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
Terribleman

Email delivery problems

Hallo.

I have two problems. I have used Mozilla Thunderbird for my emails successfully until about three weeks ago when it suddenly started delaying or simply not sending emails, almost always to either Yahoo or Hotmail addresses. Sometimes they go, sometimes they're delayed and sometimes they just disappear. If I send them from webmail, they're fine. But I much prefer the fromat of Mozilla and that's where all my files are.

Second, the emails alerting me to delivery problem are coming from mailer-daemon@virgin.com and always go into Spam, so they don't make it to Mozilla. Passing over why Virgin Media would they themselves mark emails they send out as Spam, how do I stop them going into spam? There used to be a method of saying "allow emails from this address". Now all you can do is mark individual spammed emails as allowable - but this does not stop subsequent emails from the same address going into Spam. The filter explanation is so incomprehensible to me I don't even know if it's relevant.

Can anyone help with either of these?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Forum Team
Jen_A

Re: Email delivery problems

HI Terribleman,

To prevent the failed delivery notifications from going to the Spam folder,click in the field to the left of the mail and then click on 'not spam'. Only the marked email(s) will be sent to the 'Inbox' but any subsequent mail received from the same sender will no longer go straight to 'Spam'.

Webmail Forum 13.JPG

With regards to the issues you're having with Thunderbird I'd like firstly to make sure that you're using the correct server settings, see below:

Incoming server
Incoming server = pop3.virginmedia.com
Incoming port number = 995
SSL = yes
Account/user name = full email address including @ntlworld.com (or @blueyonder.co.uk, @virgin.net etc)

Outgoing server
Outgoing server = smtp.virginmedia.com
Outgoing port number = 465
SSL = yes
Outgoing server requires authentication = yes

It might also be a good idea to check your security software settings, as it will most likely be set up to scan mail prior to being sent (or received).

Anyhow hope this helps but do let us know how you get on :smileyhappy:

Jen_A
Help & Support Forum Team

Problem Solved?Fault with your service?We did warn you!
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Terribleman

Thanks for this. Are the settings you're referring to for the Web Mail or for Thunderbird? I have already deactivated my security from outgoing mail.

As to the Spam issue, i had already done that but still they go into Spam. Further, i had put the address into my address book - but still some of them end up in Spam.

One thing that may help; most of the delivery failures seem to be on the grounds that the receiver is suspicious of my IP address. Most of the time I am sending from a Wind Greece SIM card. At other times it will be wifi places in Greece and Turkey.

Does this have any significance? I don't see why it should as prior to a few weeks ago, under the same circumstances, all was working normally.

Thanks,

Andrew.

Please use plain text.
Forum Team
Kath_F

Hi Terribleman,

The settings are for Thunderbird. Webmail the settings are already done and you would not need to alter these :smileyhappy:

As the issue you are having is with Thunderbird and not webmail it is going to be something to do with that. Are these mails going into the Spam folder within webmail or just Thunderbird?

The instructions Jen has given above for the SPAM is for Webmail but if your not having the issue in there they wouldn't really be applicable.

I am not 100% on SPAM settings for Thunderbird or where to find them i'm afraid. Maybe one of the Community will have more of an idea :smileyhappy:

Thanks,

Kath
Help & Support Forum Team

Problem Solved?Fault with your service?We did warn you!
Please use plain text.