Menu
HD1
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Email deleted on server when deleted on my iphone...

When I delete emails from my iphone, they get deleted form the server: they disappear from my virgin account. What shall I do? Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email deleted on server when deleted on my iphone...

That is exactly as it is designed to happen if you have the iPhone connected via the IMAP protocol.

What to do - either don't delete email from the phone that you want to keep, or add the account again using the POP protocol, which currently ignores delete commands on Virgin Media.
HD1
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Graham. I know how to reinstall the account but I don't know what the POP protocol is.

Could you please enlighten me? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

POP = Post Office Protocol. You'll be offered it as alternative to IMAP when you reinstall the account. The relevant port number is 995.

You would be wise to read this first, for general guidance:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ipad-Iphone-SMTP-why-deleting-and-recreating-an-account-DO...

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/POP3-Behaviour/td-p/2994032

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

POP3 = Post Office Protocol version 3 - the current standard.

POP3 was designed with the following scenario in mind.

• Not much room on the mail server.
  • Single client downloads the mail and then deletes it from the server, freeing up space for new mails.

A bit like collecting letters from a mailbox at the Post Office.

There have been changes to the default settings of clients to allow mail to be left on the server to allow other clients to download it.  However one of the main problems is that each clients mail store is independent of any other.  Meaning if you want your devices to have a folder format that matches, you have to set it up manually.

Also note that POP3 ONLY DOWNLOADS MAILS FROM THE INBOX - Which is fine unless an expected mail is misclassified and ends up in the spam folder.  You end up having to either use an IMAP client or use webmail to get at that mail.

Finally, note that mail sent using a POP3 client will not appear in webmail  It will only appear ON THAT CLIENT.  People make the mistake of assuming that mail is copied to the webmail Sent Objects folder by the SMTP server when you send.  THIS IS WRONG.

When using IMAP any emails that aren't on the server are uploaded at the same time that new mail is downloaded.  This includes mail in the Sent folder on your client, which is uploaded to Sent Objects.

So my advice would be to continue using IMAP and change your behaviour so that you ONLY delete emails that you definitely want to be gone for good.

HTH

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Etherow
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I noticed this annoying behaviour when I got a new Windows 10 machine and didn't realise it set up my email account as IMAP. When I imported my old mailbox from an Outlook pst file, went and updated the server with all the old emails and keeps the server and my Outlook and my tablet in sync, which is highly undesirable behaviour. I think the only way to get back to a sensible state is to create a new POP3 account; remove the IMAP one; reimport my old pst file and hope POP3 will then download all the emails I've recieved under IMAP. I can then tidy up my webmail to only keep those emails I might want to access away from home. It will also get rid of the very annoying way that IMAP seems to think that an email read on webmail is also read on Outlook. If I ever need to change PC again, I won't make the same mistake again. No doubt there are a few people who find what IMAP does useful, but for me, it's extremely irritating and not at all the way I want email to work. At least Virgin Media allow both and it's not their fault that Outlook 2016 defaults to IMAP. 

0 Kudos