Menu
Bruv
Dialled in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Email contacts and removing email accounts.

I have asked this before I believe, but with no real answers coming forth.

My original email address was an NTL address. It has been deluged with spam for ages, so I don't use it. All my accounts are on my laptop downloaded through Thunderbird , while the the old NTL Iis view online. The NTL account is NOT my contact address on any of my VM accounts such as Mobile or here or in My Virgin Media. So why does it  still remain on my Virgin media account as my VM address......but not as a contact address but as an alternative address and linked to my Webspace.

My question is why can't I dump this address, and why does my Mobile bill get notified via the NTL account although it is NOT my contact address.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email contacts and removing email accounts.

I've looked at the log of your previous posts. You haven't asked about either of these two issues before.

Your original NTL address is more than likely your primary e-mail address. Whether you use it or not it cannot be deleted. It is the means by which you access all of the services on My VirginMedia. It is probably being kept alive because you view your mobile account there.

The contact address for your mobile account can be changed. Ring VM Mobile on 789 - free on your mobile and ask them to do this. I don't know about doing it on-line. You could look.

Once you have your your mobile accout contact details sorted if you do not go into your original address for 150 days VM will deactivate it permanently. But it will still be the valid address for accessing My VM.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Bruv
Dialled in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

With all due respect HowardML I beg to differ HERE and HERE  and there are other similar threads.

I am asking today after visiting my spam bombed unused NTL account to delete the spam and noticing the mobile account notification of the bill. I immediately checked my profile and contact details to find as I had known, my contact on there was an @virginmedia account. My sign in address at My VM is strangely enough a Gmail account, as advised sometime ago, with the further advice that an unused account is dropped off the system after a certain amount of time, but as I am inclined to revisit the old address to scan for any important contact I haven't stopped visiting the old account.

I am asking also because what is the purpose of signing in, changing contact details, on the mobile account and the information supplied failing to update ? I am asking because I have opted out of using my super hub (?) as a relay for or hot spot by the same system......and am wondering if my wishes are being heard and adhered to. I fail to understand why my username is a gmail account and contact is a virginmedia account  on My VM, but I cannot ditch the ancient NTL Email account off the system.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Bruv wrote:

With all due respect HowardML I beg to differ HERE and HERE  and there are other similar threads.

You are quite right - I didn't look far enough down the list of your posts - Apologies

I am asking today after visiting my spam bombed unused NTL account to delete the spam and noticing the mobile account notification of the bill. I immediately checked my profile and contact details to find as I had known, my contact on there was an @virginmedia account. My sign in address at My VM is strangely enough a Gmail account, as advised sometime ago, with the further advice that an unused account is dropped off the system after a certain amount of time, but as I am inclined to revisit the old address to scan for any important contact I haven't stopped visiting the old account.

I am asking also because what is the purpose of signing in, changing contact details, on the mobile account and the information supplied failing to update ? I am asking because I have opted out of using my super hub (?) as a relay for or hot spot by the same system......and am wondering if my wishes are being heard and adhered to. I fail to understand why my username is a gmail account and contact is a virginmedia account  on My VM, but I cannot ditch the ancient NTL Email account off the system.

I think the best thing is to let the Forum Team look at your account and the addresses set up on it. They'll get to your post idc. Things seem to have got genuinely muddled somewhere.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Bruv
Dialled in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No problem HowardML, I get very confused myself when trying to explain.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello Bruv

I am sorry this has not been picked up before, we would like to help you via the forum however we would need to carry out a data protection check first, I will send you a forum private message to proceed, please reply when you have a moment.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos