Menu
allen-uk
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Email: change passwords at your peril!

A few scare stories in the media prompted me to change our email passwords.

1) Surprised (if not shocked) to find the restrictions on email passwords on my Mac Mail/Virgin accounts. 10 characters only, NO symbols, only letters and figures. What? In 2016, this is quite inadequate.

2) Anyway, changed the passwords, with the intention of coming back every month and changing them again....

3) But I had forgotten the dreaded VIRGIN ANTI EMAIL demon. Since I've changed them, my program repeatedly asks for the passwords, again, and again, and unlike the definition of madness (doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result), in Virgin's case, it DOES sometimes work, as does my email.

And then it doesn't. Or does.

Has anyone got a foolproof method of password altering that does not upset Virgin's apparent delicate balance? I want to be able to come to my Virgin mail page, change passwords, then to my Apple Mac and change them on Preferences, then to my partner's MacBook and do the same on hers, and then.... forget it (at least for a month)!

Thanks.

Allen.

0 Kudos
zvonok
Superfast
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email: change passwords at your peril!

I agree that no letters/symbols is a bit antiquated nowadays ..

Anyway, I've just changed my password for account/email via website>>> /Profile> My accounts and it works fine ...!????   ... ZVNK ...

0 Kudos
allen-uk
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

What machine are you using - Mac or PC?

Ta

0 Kudos
zvonok
Superfast
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

PC ... W10 ... ZVNK ...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

allen-uk wrote:

What machine are you using - Mac or PC?

Ta

Changing passwords on Mac devices can be a bit of a nightmare.  There is a step by step guide here: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ipad-Iphone-SMTP-why-deleting-and-recreating-an-account-DO...

allen-uk
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Graham.

I'll go through the info in the link to see if any applies to OSX (El capitan for my MacMini and Macbook), but most of it seems geared to IOS (Ipads and the like). I might pick up some clues!

A.

0 Kudos
allen-uk
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

A year later, and I'm still replying to myself.

Still, STILL, Virgin haven't changed their systems, and still we can only use a ten-character password, and still, we can't use punctuation marks!

Absurd, and a shining example if one were needed of Virgin's concentration on making money rather than making everything secure.

I've transferred my sensitive accounts to Yahoo, where password length is not a problem.

Allen.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

allen-uk wrote:

allen-uk wrote:

I've transferred my sensitive accounts to Yahoo, where password length is not a problem.

Allen.

Yahoo - Who've had massive data breaches.  Good move

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

coenoby
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

allen-uk wrote:

A year later, and I'm still replying to myself.

Still, STILL, Virgin haven't changed their systems, and still we can only use a ten-character password, and still, we can't use punctuation marks!

Absurd, and a shining example if one were needed of Virgin's concentration on making money rather than making everything secure.

In my view the fact is their email service is very low on Virgin Media's list of priorities. Despite what many seem to think, email is not part of an ISP's core business (providing internet and TV services) so they are content to provide the most basic of email services.

Certainly the right decision to move your accounts elsewhere, for all sorts of reason. I'm just not sure about Yahoo.  It was only just over a year ago that the details (usernames, passwords and security answers) associated with 500million Yahoo accounts were stolen in what was at that time one of the largest known cyber security breaches. As a result it will take me a while before I can take them seriously security-wise. But that's just me I guess.Smiley Indifferent

password length is not a problem

Even more importantly though, Yahoo also offer 2 Factor Authentication. These days passwords alone are not really enough, but again that's probably just me.

coenoby

If someone posts a helpful message you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as an Accepted Solution.
0 Kudos
allen-uk
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Coenoby: thanks for your intelligent and helpful reply (how I wish all replies were written in the same spirit!)

Yes, of course, the two-factor authentication is a real plus for Yahoo - and because their passwords are so EASY for the user to change (unlike Virgin, where changing passwords can be a fraught pastime), as soon as I knew about the hacking at Yahoo I just changed my huge Yahoo passwords to new equally huge ones.

I am aware that provision of email is not Virgin's prime function, but on the basis of good customer service, you'd hope they would make all their activities as important and secure as possible, rather than (it appears) ignoring the lesser areas.

Allen

0 Kudos