Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
babyseals

Email - blueyonder account - problem with sending e-mails (Thunderbird client)

Hi,

Was wondering if anybody could possibly help me with the following :

I use Thunderbird as my e-mail client and have a blueyonder.co.uk. I receive my e-mails fine but have never been able to send any. I *think* my settings are right as per the guide for blueyonder e-mails, but every time I try to send I get the status message as "Connected to smtp.blueyonder.co.u.uk" and the progress bar looking as though it is processing...and then the following "Sending of message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server smtp.blueyonder.co.uk timed out. Try again or contact your network administrator.".

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Many thanks

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Benjamin_T

Re: Email - blueyonder account - problem with sending e-mails (Thunderbird client)

Hi babyseals,

There are known issues on the blueyonder.co.uk server at the moment. This has been ongoing for a few weeks and our I.T. department is working on a fix.

In the meantime you will need to change to the virginmedia.com server settings: 

Email address ending with @virginmedia.com:

Protocol: POP3

Incoming Mail Server = pop3.virginmedia.com

Outgoing Mail Server = smtp.virginmedia.com

Both virgin.net & virginmedia.com

My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication: enabled 
Use same settings as my incoming mail server: enabled

Advanced tab

Incoming server (POP3): 995 
This server requires a secure connection (SSL) enabled 
Outgoing server (SMTP): 465
This server requires a secure connection (SSL) enabled

I work for Virgin Media but my opinions are my Own
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
vidanova

Re: Email - blueyonder account - problem with sending e-mails (Thunderbird client)

Hi

How long will this be going on and are you likely to tell blueyonder subscribers? I think you should make this a priority as its awful customer relations.

Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
Robertos42

Indeed,there must be lots of less tech savvy users who will not have a clue why their email is not working.  This reminds me of a customer service video we used to show customer facing staff, called 'Remember me ...(I used to be a customer) as the salesman was picking up his dole money.

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Tbgbe

[ Edited ]

<Email address ending with @virginmedia.com:smileyembarrassed:
You don't want to change the email address!
It should still be set as
yourname@blueyonder.co.uk

It's only the server names/settings that change.

TVXL(V+), BB10Mb, Ph(M)
Please use plain text.
Boffin
RichHW

[ Edited ]

Hi vidanova,

We do not have a resolution date at this time.

However, the settings listed here will work for any email address ending with ntlworld.com, blueyonder.co.uk or virginmedia.com.

Richard
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
brad0309

Hi Richard / Help & Support Forum Team

My email with blueyonder.co.uk works fine, but I am assisting my brother who's cannot send.

Those settings do not seem to work with my blueyonder.co.uk email. The page your link takes me to is for emails ending with @virginmedia.com, but I followed them anyway, and it didn't work.

Dave
Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
SpencerK

Was wondering why my blueyonder account, in Outlook, is not working.

So, do I have this correct in that I have to change my imap settings (for my blueyonder.co.uk email address) to those listed above - even though it says addresses ending with virginmedia?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Tbgbe

As I posted above - change the server(s) to virginmedia.com [smtp AND POP]

Keep ypur email address as blueyonder 

I have done this and it's working for me (I'm using Thunderbird to check).

I don't have imap configured, but should be the same principle.[ imap.virginmedia.com ]

TVXL(V+), BB10Mb, Ph(M)
Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
SpencerK

These settings did not work.  I'm getting asked for my password repeatedly by Outlook.

I am receiving emails fine to/from my Blackberry, so I copied the email settings from there into Outlook. Which didn't work.  So then I reverted to the orginal, which now work!

Hmm.  Anyway, all working again.  Thanks.

Please use plain text.