Menu
sharpharp
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Email alerts from Hikvision IP Camera not worked for 2 months

Got a Hikvision Camera and had email alerts setup and working for over 6 months.

Now I'm not getting any email alerts (since I changed to the superhub ac2 router)

In the hikvision email tab, in the sender section the smtp.virginmedia.com and port 465 are set correctly. For my receiver, I'm using an apple email address.

When I click Test I get "Failed to connect the test server"

Any ideas how to fix this? Do I need some kind of forwarding rules changing in the superhub???

All was working before I changed hubs and I'm sure I copied over the same port forwarding settings

Thanks

0 Kudos
Stythinator
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email alerts from Hikvision IP Camera not worked for 2 months

I'm glad you posted this. I also have a Hikvision and interested in seeing what people actually suggest.

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello sharpharp

Sorry you are having problems sending an email from your Hikvision camera. One would think port 465 would already be open but for diagnostic purposes I wonder what would happen if you turned the firewall off in the hub Configuring Advanced Settings on your router. If that works maybe you could reserve the camera IP and set as DMZ. I guess the camera is wireless only so trying modem only mode is not an option Enabling and disabling modem mode on your Virgin Media router.

Please let us know how it goes

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
sharpharp
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nicola,

Tried turning the firewall off in the superhub, but that made no difference.

The virgin email address (sender) and the apple address (receiver) are fine as I can send emails from Outlook without issue, its the Hikvision camera that is not working.

The Hikvision is setup Hard-wired, not via Wi-Fi

Do I need to add any kind of port forwarding for it to work? Already tried adding Port 465, but that doesn't make any difference either.

Like I said, all was working fine a few months ago, since upgrading to the superhub, no emails being sent from camera.

Any other things to try?

0 Kudos
Argy
Rising star
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried the IP Cameras forum www.ipcamtalk.com ?

I don't have a Hikvision camera or NVR myself, so I don't know if what I am going to suggest is something you have already tried, nor if it's any use at all!

Having said that, there are a few fairly recent posts (within 12 months) on https://www.ipcamtalk.com/forumdisplay.php/5-Hikvision all suggesting that a particular firmware version is buggy for external email alerts and that you should upgrade (or in some cases downgrade)!

I have no idea if this is relevant to you - but there may be other posts there which will help - some of them mention using SMTP servers by ip address - others by changing the camera DNS settings to point to Google's servers - all in all, it looks like there is a whole gamut of possible inter-connected settings.

Another forum has a similar fault from a couple of years ago. http://www.cam-it.org/index.php?topic=8205.0

On that occasion, it was an issue with the Gmail servers - and nothing to do with the local setup.

Given that there have been a lot of issues recently with Virgin's email servers, would it be worthwhile setting up a temporary gmail account - just to test the cameras?  If they work OK with Gmail, then the fault may well lie within the VM email setup.

It could be that the SH replacement was just a coincidence - however that event would probably result in a new WAN IP address being issued - could that have a bearing?

Just another VM user trying to help, so no guarantees that my advice will work .
If my suggestion is helpful, please mark it as helpful; it may help others. Just want to say "Thanks"? That's the Kudos button.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
coders
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

hi - did you ever resolve this issue? I have a new DVR set up and cannot get the email alerts to work.

thanks

Mark

0 Kudos
sharpharp
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

No I did not get this resolved, Virgin Media won't allow their email to work with Hikvision Cams, some ports or config have been changed at Virgin medias end in the way their Email access works.

Had to resort to a gmail account instead, but even that is a bit flaky.

Everything worked fine before VM changed their email access.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm  sorry but you're incorrect.

Virgin Media have made no changes to the servers that SMTP clients use since 2010 - even then they left the old settings in place.

While Virgin are updating the server settings so that all the domains use the same servers and ports, this should still not stop you sending an email, especially when checking some of the settings they've used with Gmail - specifically, port 465 with SSL enabled.  Virgin use those exact same settings.

Lets look at some points made earlier.

Port Forwarding - Is not needed - these are smtp clients that work in the same way that the clients in EVERY email program out there.  They make outbound connections to the mail server and transmit the mail.

Device Specifity - Doen't exist.  I regularly see claims that Virgin Email does not work with, for example iPads.  However SMTP predates all these devices and the standard arose out of a need to be able to connect different devices running different operating systems.

SMTP servers don't know what device is connecting, all they see is a hostname or an IP address, and that's all.  In fact the SMTP standard is a lot simpler than people think.- but then again the S in SMTP does actually stand for Simple.

It would 

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Lincoln1
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You will need to use the below settings:

• SMTP Server - smtp.gmail.com
  • SMTP Port - 25 (465 or 587 as an alternative if 25 is blocked)
  • E-mail Encryption - TLS
  • Enable STARTTLS

Hope this will help you. If still the problem remains, consult with CCTV installation company or contact technical support team. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If you are using Gmail the preferred Submission Port is 587 with STARTTLS

Whatever you do don't use port 465 with STARTTLS.

STARTTLS channels start out unencrypted, and then the client upgrades the channel to an encrypted channel

Port 465 channels use TLS encryption from the outset.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos