Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11 (578 Views)

Email account repeatedly being locked

How do I prevent my email account repeatedly being locked unnecessarily? I send staff payslips from home every month and because the wage programme send around 40 all at once, they are being flagged as spam.  I am getting a bit fed up of having to reset my password every month.  Is there any way that this can be prevented?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Superfast
Message 6 of 11 (994 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by laneypop
‎17-05-2017 17:55

Re: Email account repeatedly being locked

You probably regret bringing up the back story regarding business use.

I used to run a couple of small businesses and when I saw your reference to employee payslips it raised a different question in my mind.

I hope that you or your employer has organised it so that the payslip attachments need a password to open them. The Sage accounting and payroll software provides that facility but you can set up something similar yourself with pdf files. Without that added level of security neither you or VM can guarantee that only the employee can access the payslip when the email appears on their device and it is the employer who has the  responsibility to provide confidentiality for their employees' personal information.

Coenoby

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 8 of 11 (981 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by laneypop

[ Edited ]

laneypop wrote:

what server would I have complete control of inless I had my own? I'm not running a business, I'm an employee.  Are you saying that VM servers aren't secure?  In that case are anyone's emails secure.  Should I be doing online banking.  Actually I send them using gmail but the way outlook is set up it must go through VM.  I will look to see if I can change it. 

And therein lies the answer to this issue at a technical level. If you are sending via GMail then your outgoing SMTP server must be smtp.gmail.com or VM will restrict or lock you out from sending via their servers as an anti-spam measure. IN addition some recipeint servers will not accept mail or mark it as spam if it appears to come from a source other than the source that which it purports to come from. In this case the mail appears to come from GMail but is being sent out by VM servers.  For the GMail servers You can use port 567 with TLS enabled to authenticate and it should work OK.  If that doesn't work GMail's SMTP server will accept port 465 with SSL enabled.

I can only say it would have been nice to have got this information the first time round. It is significant.  Aand it would also have been nice to have received some acknowledgement for the fact that I tried my best to answer without, as it turns out,  being in full possession of the facts. This is a user to user help forum. It is not a means of directly accessing VM's technical support. For that you have to phone in. The problem does not lie with VM. It lies with an incorrectly configured mail client, irrespective of the ethics of using a residential e-mail service to send out employee data.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.

Superuser
Message 9 of 11 (944 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by laneypop
‎17-05-2017 18:01

Howards hit the mail on the head anyway.  If you are sending via a Gmail address you should use Gmails servers.

smtp.gmail.com
Port 587 StartTLS - (In outlook select TLS from the drop-down list then enter the port number)
Under Outgoing - (Found in more settings) - make sure you have My Outgoing Server requires Authentication ticked and the radio button set to use same settings as incoming mail.

However if I were an employer expecting an employee to mail employee payslips for me.  I would set up my own email server and give that employee access to that instead.  As suggested by @coenoby I would further send it as a locked attachment and notify the recipients of the password via alternate means.

People don't realise how insecure email is.  The original standards had the username and passwords being sent out in PLAIN TEXT, the contents of the email is also sent in PLAIN TEXT - while some clients use an encoding scheme called Base64 encoding which makes a mail look encrypted, it's still plain text and it takes very little time to convert the encoded mail back to ASCII.

Encryption of the last leg of an email's journey. has only started to take off in recent years, so unless you can be 100% sure that every employee's email service supports StartTLS encryption on the final leg.  I would be extremely wary about how I send information over email, because that information can be viewed by people other than the intended recipient.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

All Replies
Superuser
Message 2 of 11 (572 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have attached links to two articles from the VM help files. It appears that you could be breaching the sending limits over rolling 24 hour periods for residential e-mail accounts and so your account gets locked. And if you are bulk sending then this is also not surprising as is the fact that mail gets treated a spam by VM's servers. This is not what VM residential accounts are for and substantial business use (which is strongly implied in your post) is contrary to VM's T&C's. 

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

You might wish to consider switching to VM business or using a different e-mail service to send mail. VM's spam policy on residential accounts is very strict. Think about GMail or similar.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11 (548 Views)

[ Edited ]

HowardML wrote:

I have attached links to two articles from the VM help files. It appears that you could be breaching the sending limits over rolling 24 hour periods for residential e-mail accounts and so your account gets locked. And if you are bulk sending then this is also not surprising as is the fact that mail gets treated a spam by VM's servers. This is not what VM residential accounts are for and substantial business use (which is strongly implied in your post) is contrary to VM's T&C's. 

You might wish to consider switching to VM business or using a different e-mail service to send mail. VM's spam policy on residential accounts is very strict. Think about GMail or similar.

Sending about 34 payslips once a calendar month is hardly substantial business use.  It takes less than a minute.  On reading the first link, it mentions 500 recipients and not sending more than 100 at a time, I'm sending less than 40.  I know its that, because the month I did them from work I didn't get locked out of my email account.  This has only started recently.

Sending Limits in Virgin Media Mail

Last updated: January 12, 2017

In an effort to fight spam and prevent abuse, Virgin Media will temporarily disable your account if you send a message to more than 500 recipients or if you send a large number of undeliverable messages. If you use a POP or IMAP client (Microsoft Outlook or Apple Mail, e.g.), you may only send a message to 100 people at a time. Your account should be re-enabled within 24 hours.

If you send a large number of undeliverable messages, we suggest verifying your contacts' email addresses. It's also important that everyone you are sending mail to is willing to receive it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 4 of 11 (538 Views)

I would consider it bad, business practice to send employees payslips through a server that I do not have complete control of.  I'd also question whether it is, in fact, breaching your responsibilities under the Data Protection Act or the EU General Data Protection Act - (Note that even when we leave the EU the GDPR will still apply).

If you are running a business, you should not be using a third party email address to do so.

Tim

Tuning in
Message 5 of 11 (533 Views)

what server would I have complete control of inless I had my own? I'm not running a business, I'm an employee.  Are you saying that VM servers aren't secure?  In that case are anyone's emails secure.  Should I be doing online banking.  Actually I send them using gmail but the way outlook is set up it must go through VM.  I will look to see if I can change it. 

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 6 of 11 (995 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by laneypop

You probably regret bringing up the back story regarding business use.

I used to run a couple of small businesses and when I saw your reference to employee payslips it raised a different question in my mind.

I hope that you or your employer has organised it so that the payslip attachments need a password to open them. The Sage accounting and payroll software provides that facility but you can set up something similar yourself with pdf files. Without that added level of security neither you or VM can guarantee that only the employee can access the payslip when the email appears on their device and it is the employer who has the  responsibility to provide confidentiality for their employees' personal information.

Coenoby

0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 11 (518 Views)

Here is an article echoing that very point, Personal data – to encrypt or not encrypt.

Superuser
Message 8 of 11 (982 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by laneypop

[ Edited ]

laneypop wrote:

And therein lies the answer to this issue at a technical level. If you are sending via GMail then your outgoing SMTP server must be smtp.gmail.com or VM will restrict or lock you out from sending via their servers as an anti-spam measure. IN addition some recipeint servers will not accept mail or mark it as spam if it appears to come from a source other than the source that which it purports to come from. In this case the mail appears to come from GMail but is being sent out by VM servers.  For the GMail servers You can use port 567 with TLS enabled to authenticate and it should work OK.  If that doesn't work GMail's SMTP server will accept port 465 with SSL enabled.

I can only say it would have been nice to have got this information the first time round. It is significant.  Aand it would also have been nice to have received some acknowledgement for the fact that I tried my best to answer without, as it turns out,  being in full possession of the facts. This is a user to user help forum. It is not a means of directly accessing VM's technical support. For that you have to phone in. The problem does not lie with VM. It lies with an incorrectly configured mail client, irrespective of the ethics of using a residential e-mail service to send out employee data.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Superuser
Message 9 of 11 (945 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by laneypop
‎17-05-2017 18:01

Howards hit the mail on the head anyway.  If you are sending via a Gmail address you should use Gmails servers.

smtp.gmail.com
Port 587 StartTLS - (In outlook select TLS from the drop-down list then enter the port number)
Under Outgoing - (Found in more settings) - make sure you have My Outgoing Server requires Authentication ticked and the radio button set to use same settings as incoming mail.

However if I were an employer expecting an employee to mail employee payslips for me.  I would set up my own email server and give that employee access to that instead.  As suggested by @coenoby I would further send it as a locked attachment and notify the recipients of the password via alternate means.

People don't realise how insecure email is.  The original standards had the username and passwords being sent out in PLAIN TEXT, the contents of the email is also sent in PLAIN TEXT - while some clients use an encoding scheme called Base64 encoding which makes a mail look encrypted, it's still plain text and it takes very little time to convert the encoded mail back to ASCII.

Encryption of the last leg of an email's journey. has only started to take off in recent years, so unless you can be 100% sure that every employee's email service supports StartTLS encryption on the final leg.  I would be extremely wary about how I send information over email, because that information can be viewed by people other than the intended recipient.

Tim

Tuning in
Message 10 of 11 (468 Views)

That is a good point as most of them probably access them on their smart phones. I used to print them out but they wanted them emailing to ensure that they could access them if they needed a copy for housing benefit purposes etc. I do you use a wage program (not sage) which does have this facility.  I will get this sorted asap.  Thank you for your help

0 Kudos