Menu
poopy13pets
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Email Web client slow and sometimes un-responsive

For some time now since Virgin changed platforms for the email it has been slow to boot up, slow to respond and most of the time it wont display incoming emails and you have to walk away and leave it and after 20minutes its all there and working. This is really starting to annoy me now as before it was instant. I cant search for old emails a lot of the time as it says server not responding, can any one help with this? I really wish they had never changed platform and ruined a great email service.

Appreciate any help please

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email Web client slow and sometimes un-responsive

What hardware and software combination are you using?

Check your internet speed here - 

http://www.speedtest.net/

0 Kudos
poopy13pets
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi
I am running 2 different computers both with windows 10, both high spec machines. I am part of Sam Knows which monitors my speed and gives me monthly reports, but tested at either machine which are both wired Ethernet speed is 165meg. I log on via windows browser but have tried firefox and allways have the same slow emails, loads other folders ok but incoming is so slow. I have tried mail programs and thats not much better.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

This sounds like a networking or hub issue and might be more appropriate to the Speed or Networking areas of the forum. However, before deciding if that’s the case – a few observations from me and some statistics from you please.

1. By way of comparison, on a good day, my main wired PC on a 70Mbps connection takes less than 25 seconds from completion of login details to finish of first webmail screen loading. Other devices connected by wi-fi take just a little longer.

2. When you say “windows browser”, do you mean Internet Explorer or the new Microsoft browser called Edge which was introduced with Windows 10? Is it only the VM webmail site which is slow to respond? Are BBC, Amazon etc quick to respond?

3. Whilst I applaud the existence of SamKnows, it’s main focus is the UK phone network, and there is no obvious detail on its website about the frequency or timing of its speed tests over cable. Does the monthly report give you a graph or table of stats showing speeds at various times of the day/week/month? Regardless of that, I would prefer to see a report done at the time of the slow response as follows -

(a) run Speedtest.net

(b) log into webmail whilst (a) is running

(c) run speedtest again whilst (b) is running

(d) repeat (c) until (b) finishes

Speedtest logs all of your test results under the “My Results” tab.

To help with diagnosis, the hub stats might be useful. Put http://192.168.100.1/ into your browser address bar to get to the VM hub interface. Don't login but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screen shots if that is easier.

0 Kudos