Menu
Jez48
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Email Web Mail - Server Unreachable

Server Unreachable

As a family we all access a number of email address's (ntlworld & Virginmedia.com) from various platforms and equipment.

Pc's and tablets seam effected the worst, where'as a  phone browser lesser so.

Logging in completes, but often the email page fails to fully load. Refreshing the browser session often completes the loading.

Whilst reading and deleting emails, an orangey / yellow flag at the bottom of the page frequently pops up - Server Unreachable.

In addition, even without this flag appearing, it not unknown to return to emails having logged and returned later to discover half completed emails in the drafts folder, deleted emails having returned to the in box along with numerous other frustrations.

I have to ask myself why I still persist with Virgin Email since its move from Google, its just that the email address of my full name is impossible to find on other platforms.

Any thoughts or advice please

Jez48

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Email Web Mail - Server Unreachable

Yes - check the service status for your area - click on the link right hand top of this page. There is an intermittent fault affecting web mail in some areas - usually a national fault if it makes on to the service checker page. It's been going on for ages. exactly your symptoms.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes - check the service status for your area - click on the link right hand top of this page. There is an intermittent fault affecting web mail in some areas - usually a national fault if it makes on to the service checker page. It's been going on for ages. exactly your symptoms.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

And if your problems persist after the area fault is cleared, read this - 

“Server Unreachable” sounds like you are having a serious problem with the quality of your internet connection. That message appears when the connection is interrupted.

What is the history – has the connection been reliable in the past and then recently started to deteriorate or what?

Emails (re)appearing in drafts when you think you have sent them suggests that –

you have hit the send button but they did not arrive at the VM mail server -

because the internet connection was interrupted during the process.

First thing to do is make sure that you re-boot your router regularly, say, once a week, just switch it off and then back on again a minute or so later.

If that shows no improvement, report it as a possible Broadband fault and ask them to test your line while you are on the phone.

Call 150 from your Virgin Media phone or mobile, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone.

If you phone outside UK Mon-Fri office hours you are likely to get the call centre in India. Be warned.

Finally, stop using Windows XP!!

0 Kudos
Jez48
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Its taken a while but... following your good advice
Broadband faults, after three very long phone calls (working hours to India) after each I'm promised an engineer, which never materialize, one has now finaly been, repaired a minor damage to the cable outside and upgraded the router.

General Web browsing and streaming is better, Great at 04.00 hrs, but just about bearable from 17:00 - 23:30.
WIFI cover in the much improved, no longer need a booster :-)

I have also installed Firefox on the XP and Vista machines and also have another two laptops with Win7 ;-)

this has proved a couple of things, Web mail is still AWFULL.
So I've purchased a little pad thing just for emails, so at least I can sift them (the VM spam is unpredictable at best !!!)

But back to using browser on VM webmail. Firfox and Google in built seam to restrict and slow loading due to unsafe scripts, if these scripts are allowed to run both report the connection is insecure and to take care.
But, the good news is, when security is turned right down and these scripts allowed to run with HTTPS being struck through in red, VM webmail just flies along running like a dream..!!!!

Kind regards

0 Kudos