Menu
ladydemetria
Tuning in
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Email Settings changes. Not helpful! Locked out of ntlworld email!

The 'advice' given for people with older email addresses such as ntlworld.com is in no way helpful at all and has effectively locked my dad out of his email account totally! He has important emails on there concerning his pension details and insurance documents, some warning beforehand virgin would have been nice if you were going to make it impossible to get into again. It also doesn't recognise his email address when he tries to sign into the virgin home page.

0 Kudos
ladydemetria
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email - Ntlworld.com account

My dad has been having the same problems with his ntlworld account and he has important emails that he now cannot retrieve like pension and insurance details. There isn't a way to get into setting to change pop3 settings

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I've merged your posts together about your dad. That way we'll stay on track and not try to reply in two places at once.

The changes in mail settings do not affect web mail.  If that is your access means then there is absolutely nothing you need do.

They only affect people who access their e-mail by using a e-mail client like Thunderbird or Outlook or many other programs like that. I've changed my client settings - worked perfectly. 

It would be best if you or your Dad gave us a clear account of what he has done which may have caused this issue because it is not clear from these two posts just what has happened. We'll then try to help more.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Chelleuk2016
Tuning in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I haven't changed anything but it keeps saying my password is incorrect. When I try and log into my virgin account it's states my email address does not exist.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Chelleuk2016

As you can see I pulled a thread together to help ladydemetria because she had cross-posted to your thread. Now you do the same. Not good etiquette. Leaves us confused and potentially having to reply twice in different threads. Grateful if you wouldn't do this.

Your query will be answered in your own thread here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-Ntlworld-com-account/td-p/3369932

Patience is required. The Forum Team will look in due course and other users may be along to help too.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email Settings changes. Not helpful! Locked out of ntlworld email!

@ladydemetria

My understanding is that while Virgin recommend changing the settings now, the old settings are still active as we speak.  You don't say what email client you are using so I'm going to demonstrate changing the settings with Outlook (Not least as I haven't done this at the time of writing, although I have updated my iPad settings).

If you have a different client please let us know what it is.  However, the principle is the same regardless of client or email address.  (My own address being a blueyonder one).

Here's how I do it in Outlook 2016

1. Click File->Account Settings->Account Settings to bring up a Window with a list of your current email accounts.

2. Double-click the account you need to update in this case it's my blueyonder one.  This will bring up the main settings window.

3. There are 3 things that need changing on the above screen.  The inbound and outbound server and the username.  Change them as below. DO NOT CLICK NEXT YET - there are some other settings we need to check.

Note: POP3 users need to set the Incoming server to pop3.virginmedia.com instead.
  4. Click More Settings and then click the Outgoing Server tab, Make sure that My Outgoing server requires Authentication is ticked and use same settings as my incoming mail server are also ticked. as below.

Don't Click OK yet
  5. Click the Advanced Tab,  Select SSL from both the dropdown lists and change the outgoing port to 465 (Note you MUST change the encryption type first as changing the outgoing encryption type resets the port number).
    Note as well that the Incoming Port will change to the correct port for the incoming server type.  POP3 users will see 995 IMAP users like me will see 993

Now Click OK you'll be taken back to the main screen.
  6. Click Next and the test settings screen will pop up  If all goes well you should see the following.

Click close to be taken to the final screen.
  7. Click Finish on the screen below and that's it, the job's done.

Total time to change not much more than 3 minutes.

If you need guidance for a particular email client please let us know what it is.  The principle is the same regardless.

Servers.

POP3 pop3.virginmedia.com Port 995 SSL
IMAP imap.virginmedia.com Port 993 SSL
SMTP smtp.virginmedia.com port 465 SSL

Username - Your FULL email address.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

ladydemetria
Tuning in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

On the mail feature on windows (trying to sign in on the virgin homepage and it doesn't recognise his username/email address) I can only get to sync settings and its only asking for incoming email server and outgoing (SMTP) email server. Those are the only options I can get up, no file or menu button

0 Kudos
ladydemetria
Tuning in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Same problem
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

ladydemetria wrote:

On the mail feature on windows (trying to sign in on the virgin homepage and it doesn't recognise his username/email address) I can only get to sync settings and its only asking for incoming email server and outgoing (SMTP) email server. Those are the only options I can get up, no file or menu button

Lets have a look at this rationally.

1. Based on what you are saying you haven't yet changed the server settings.
2. Although Virgin Media have announced a change in the recommended settings.
    a) They haven't yet turned the old servers off.
    b) Any change in settings does not affect the password.  Unless they've locked the password out for other reasons.

If you are trying to sign in on the Virgin Homepage and can't get in there then there is something else amiss.

However, the Mail Program in Windows 10 obfuscates the length of the password when you look at the settings.  So ignore the number of characters in the masked out address.

You already know how to get to the account settings page in the Windows 10 Mail Client.

Under server names use the following

Incoming IMAP - imap.virginmedia.com:993
Incoming POP3 - pop3.virginmedia.com:995

Outgoing - smtp.virginmedia.com:465

Here's mine

Mailserevers.JPG

However the password issue is still bothering me.

Do your parents still have Broadband with Virgin Media?

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

ladydemetria
Tuning in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Yep done all that and yes he still has virgin broadband. Having the same problems as Chelleuk2016, it's like his email address doesn't exist anymore was working fine until yesterday

0 Kudos