Menu
NickRF
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Email Send Fails when Abroad

Emails fine in UK. Soon as go abroad, receive email works fine, but send emails more often than not fails for hours, then comes back ok, then fails again on a daily cycle. Just get immediate message "Failed at Server End". Seen other posts on same topic, with advice to check settings or even change settings, but why should I need to do this and why then intermittent? VM should make it clear any special settings when abroad? It's almost like the UK email servers have a daily cycle of not accepting emails from abroad?
Other Internet services, Facebook, etc working fine.
0 Kudos
MagicMavis
Dialled in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email Send Fails when Abroad

You'll probably find that the overseas networks have a block on using port 25 for anything other than their own SMTP server. Port 25 is the one your phone will be using, SMTP is the type of server that you send emails to, for it to send on for you. You could try searching for an alternative server, ("free smtp servers") and pick one that uses an alternative port, or ask your email provider if they have an SMTP server that isn't on port 25.

0 Kudos
NickRF
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, but still not sure what to do.
In UK I can connect my phone to free public wifi like 02, BT, etc and it simply works with the email port settings I use with my home VM wifi.
Why is it any different connecting to a foreign free WiFi service? Where all other phone apps are working fine, FB, FB Messenger, Twitter etc.
How do you "Search" for a free port?
I thought even though abroad VM would still be my email provider, this hasn't changed??
0 Kudos
MagicMavis
Dialled in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Some providers block certain ports because of local rules. Port 25 (SMTP) is sometimes blocked because people bang out piles of spam emails with impunity, as port 25 has no requirement for logins. What device was it you are using?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Port 25 has not been the recommended setting for VM for years.   The best settings to use are set out below.

SMTP server name smtp.virginmedia.com
SMTP SSL Enabled
SMTP port 465
SMTP authentication Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)
SMTP username Full email address, for example,richard.branson@virginmedia.com
Note: If you update your username in My Virgin Media, this email address will not change.

Make sure you are entering your full email address as the username including the @domain bit.
Also make sure that you have ticked the box to say that the outgoing server requires authentication and enter your full email address and password in the relevant boxes

NickRF
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the setting advice. These are settings I've had for years. But just when go abroad, get the "Failed at Server" message more often than not. In fact it's now ben nearly two so days since and email went out, and has been intermittent on sending for 2 weeks.
I thought VM monitored these questions, as there is no other way to contact support now except via expensive telephone from abroad.
Big complaint brewing for when get back.....
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As part of their anti spam measures VM apply much tighter sending limits when using  the smtp server abroad.  The advice they give is to use the webmail option when abroad if you are hitting the sending limits.

VM do monitor these boards but it can take a week for them to reply.

NickRF
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Woo it allowed me to send 2 emails today. Wonder how many more before fails again

I could use the Internet email page, but this eats up precious and expensive data allowance when away from wifi. Especially as the VM pages contain lots of unnecessary graphics and adverts.
0 Kudos