Menu
darklord010
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Email Rules Don't Work

Has anyone ever got the email rules to work on the virgin media backend server ? Have tried contains and also regex but nothing works.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email Rules Don't Work

The rule thing I've found problematic. For example I know this person who has 4 email addresses which they random switch between emailing me from. I wanted to catch them all and move them emails to a folder I had setup for emails from the person. When I put all 4 of their emails into one rule, it never worked. So I had to setup singular rules for each of the person's email. At which point it worked.

It's weird, rather than treat it like "if an email is received from ANY of these email addresses, filter it into here." Instead it does: "If an email arrives and has ALL of these email addresses on it, filter it into here." It's not very convenient and I don't like having to setup multiple rules when one single rule should suffice, just as it does in gmail, outlook, etc.

Edit: Typo adjusted

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

darklord010 wrote:

Has anyone ever got the email rules to work on the virgin media backend server ? Have tried contains and also regex but nothing works.

Both do work… what are you trying to do?

0 Kudos
monzol
Joining in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I'm trying to use regex to filter out emails with certain patterns in the content but it doesn't seem to work. Do you have to use the // pattern delimiters before and after the pattern? I tried both ways but no success. I always test my patterns on regex101[dot]com and it works.

I get a lot of voucher spam that has 'Hi John Smith' (with my name probably generated from the email) in the content plus three images below that.

So to detect something like <font SIZE="4" color="blue" face="Arial"> Hi John Smith </font> in the content I use the following pattern:

\>\s*((Hi|Dear|For)\s+)?John\s+Smith[\:\s\n]*\<

but no luck.. 

Has anyone used regex successfully? Can they be mixed with other rules?

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

why make it so complex - surely no one you really want to hear from is going to write "Hi John Smith" so zap all that do. don't bother with regex.

if worried, send them to spam rather than permanently delete or create a folder called HiJS &then them all there for later vetting

0 Kudos
monzol
Joining in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I had to make it complex because there are many variations. Sometimes they use different greetings or different number of spaces between words. I also wanted to make sure I only filter out html content and not somebody trying to address me with my full name in a normal text email. But if I can't get the regex work I'll have no choice but to add individual variations in separate rules. Thanks anyway!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

It is worth pointing out that user created filters only apply to the Inbox.  Any emails identified by the system and moved to the spam folder will not be affected by user filters.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

AFAICS, the regular expression is applied against the text of the message only; not the mark-up. Try:

• create a filter rule to match Header, Name Content-Type Matches text/plain
    Check the box to process subsequent rules is not ticked
  • create a filter rule with the following regular expression:
    \s+(Hi|Dear|To)\s+John\s+Smith
    or insensitive case:
    \s+([Hh][Ii]|[Dd][Ee][Aa][Rr]|[Tt][Oo])\s+[Jj][Oo][Hh][Nn]\s+[Ss][Mm][Ii][Tt][Hh]
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

how did the spammers get your full name ?

i prefer to put rules in the local client - with outlook you can test all sorts of that AND that conditions and you can add useful catch-alls like " ...unless sender is in contacts" so the rules applies only to strangers

0 Kudos
monzol
Joining in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks 用心棒, I'll try that.

From your example I gather that the forward-slash delimiters (//) cannot be used around the regex pattern, otherwise the /i flag could add case insensitivity.

But I can probably test that by sending some emails to myself.

0 Kudos