Menu
Tuning in
Message 11 of 14 (221 Views)

Re: Email Issues - trouble signing in

It's well known VM email system is really bad. I only use my account email to sign it with and NEVER use it for personal/business emails. Gmail is a much better email system to use and I advise VM customers to switch. I still get (even today) reports I have been sending spam from email accounts deleted last year. That should say all there is to say about VM's poor email setup.

It's almost as if they WANT you to bail. Same with webspace (when they had it) bad choice to use an ISP's web and email. Great for TV and Broadband, forget the rest and go elsewhere.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 12 of 14 (128 Views)

Dear Howard,

I am sure the community does its best to help but frankly, he is right. I have never found any useful solution from the community. It was over a year before I could get Sky Sports on Virgin Anywhere. I still cannot open attached files quickly and easily with Virgin Email. I can with Hotmail and my wife has no problem with Gmail so why can't VM do this. I have my Hotmail accounts for emergencies, such as when VM is not working, which is quite often these days. I have had my @ntl world address for about 20 years and I am reluctant to change but if VM does not get its act together soon I shall reluctantly change to Gmail.

I am aware that you do not work for VM but it seems so difficult to communicate with them directly that I hope someone at VM reads these posts from time to time.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 13 of 14 (117 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Johnzbird

As you have addressed me directly I feel you merit a reply.

I couldn't disagree with you more on the role of the Forum and all who participate in it.

I've looked my score for helpful answers and it exceeds 500 in the few years I have been contributing. I accept that we don't always solve a problem completely at first instance but we can offer workable ways round difficulties when a solution is pending from VM.

In many cases we have been responsible for digging further into issues that at first blush might appear to be too difficult and solving them, with VM later taking up the solution for national application (the spam content found error comes quickly and easily to mind which lead to a change in the national default spam settings in web mail). We have had VM produce solutions to seemingly intractable problems because of the initial work and testing that we can do. I'm quite proud of that; and the contribution we have made, as are my fellow Superusers. Still you may have your own opinions. At the extreme if you don't think the Forum has any value you hold the answer in your own hands - don't come.

You might be surprised to learn that I do not use VM mail as my main e-mail service. I use another web mail supplier; because I don't fancy banging my head against a brick wall. And I have always made this clear to posters and to VM directly. Because I do not work for VM I am free to offer impartial advice. Though as I have been with VM and its predecessor companies for nigh on 30 years, you would expect me to see both sides to any issue between VM and its customers. I am a critical friend not a sycophant.

The VM Forum Team read every single post on this Forum and they will often respond to them. They also feedback trends to VM operations. But as with all community forums it is other users who often get to the post first and offer advice. That avoids the need for long waits. Often the problems are relatively easy to solve by someone who has just the edge on experience with VM over a longer period of time or has the edge on technical issues. Why wouldn't any sensible company want to have that as part of its customer service offering? And why wouldn't any sensible customer want to take advantage of that expertise?

I enjoy coming here and helping. I spent many, many years in Government learning about IT as part of my work. I know parts of VM's system well too. But I am always learning new things as I participate here. And I think it worthwhile to pass on my knowledge now I have the time and the inclination to do it.  I am no saint and get irritated sometimes and it shows. But, as I have said, I do not work for VM so I am free to let my feelings show, occasionally. I am also free, at last, to ensure that my advice is unaffected by any perception of corporate loyalty. You can't buy that kind of advice. 

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM.
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 14 of 14 (99 Views)

Thank you Howard for taking the trouble to write to me directly.

I do solve most of my IT problems myself and so it is only the rare and difficult issues that I refer to the Forum. Probably why I do not get satisfactory answers. My issues are probably quite fundamental and as yet even VM do not have solutions.

I am encouraged to hear that the VM Forum team do read theses posts.

0 Kudos