Menu
Johnnydeppontv
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Email Hacked?

Hi. I've noticed in the last week getting no emails. I had been expecting an important one so wondered if it was my smartphone so went onto Virgins email portal. No email either. Checked advance settings and someone had put in a forwarding email address to yahoo. It's not an email address I own. I have none with yahoo. Any ideas what to do?
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Email Hacked?

Besides removing the forwarding, (but keep a note of the yahoo address), the next thing you should do is go to

my.virginmedia.com and click on profile - Change your password and also consider changing your security question and answer.

Next, go to netreport.virginmedia.com and report this under email account hijacking to make the security team aware of the issue.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

zvonok wrote:
Unless I've lost touch a..it would be the first time someone has 'hacked' an account and entered a forwarding address!!?

Criminals will use an email forward like a wiretap and use the data captured to explorer possible attack vectors against the victim and/or their contacts; had the perpetrator not made mistakes it is possible this could have gone unnoticed for some time.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Worthwhile also checking:

• online services linked to the compromised email account
  • online services that used the same compromised password; hopefully that will be none

Also, consider whether it is appropriate for you and those you corresponded with to continue using the compromised email address based on what data could have been taken.

All Replies
zvonok
Superfast
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Unless I've lost touch a..it would be the first time someone has 'hacked' an account and entered a forwarding address!!?

Firstly remove the forwarding address completely....

Does the yahoo address seem 'reasonable'? Or is it all odd letters? numbers?

You will have probably lost any emails forwarded on but if it was all accidental may be worth emailing the address and asking if they have received any emails in error for you IF its seems a 'personal' address ..... ZVNK ...
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Besides removing the forwarding, (but keep a note of the yahoo address), the next thing you should do is go to

my.virginmedia.com and click on profile - Change your password and also consider changing your security question and answer.

Next, go to netreport.virginmedia.com and report this under email account hijacking to make the security team aware of the issue.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

zvonok wrote:

Criminals will use an email forward like a wiretap and use the data captured to explorer possible attack vectors against the victim and/or their contacts; had the perpetrator not made mistakes it is possible this could have gone unnoticed for some time.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Worthwhile also checking:

• online services linked to the compromised email account
  • online services that used the same compromised password; hopefully that will be none

Also, consider whether it is appropriate for you and those you corresponded with to continue using the compromised email address based on what data could have been taken.

Johnnydeppontv
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

hi, the email address seemed reasonable - word with numbers. Sent them an email but nothing. Like said don't have any yahoo email addresses. has been removed and now in process of changing other details on other websites that use this email address as now found that had money tried to be taken from PayPal account oddly at same time (this uses same email address). Luckily they noticed it before I had.
0 Kudos
Johnnydeppontv
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks, I've done all of this! Now getting my emails OK.

0 Kudos
Johnnydeppontv
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I actually had my PayPal account compromised by suddenly funds of £236 being removed - luckily Paypal informed me that it seemed dodgy and literally refunded me and stepped up security on my account by getting new passwords etc.  in the middle of checking others including my bank!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

In addition to everything else - report this to Action Fraud,  http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/contact-us

While PayPal may have refunded the transaction, this does need further investigation, and the police do need to get involved in order to do this.

0 Kudos