Menu
Marmot2
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Email Authentication Failed, can't log in to VM, Webmail

Hi all,

I use Thunderbird to manage my email accounts and on logging in tonight was presented with the following message (username replaced, obviously):

Sending of password for user XXX.XXX  did not succeed. Mail server pop3.blueyonder.co.uk responded: [AUTH] Authentication failed.

As a result I attempted to log into webmail, which does not seem to be working at all - I just get stuck in a re-captcha loop.  The login panel appears to recognise my email address and password, with the usual green check appearing whenever I enter those, but the page either does nothing or loops recaptchas for a while before...doing nothing.  I also tried the 'Forgot your Password' option - but inputting the response to my security question results in the message 'Please enter valid security details' despite my answer being correct.  I'm not currently at home so don't have any bill details that would allow me to proceed any further.

I have not changed any passwords recently and mail access was working fine - albeit with lag -  yesterday.

Like many people on the board I've been experiencing symptoms of spoofing so I was already in the process of changing my primary email account - after about 15 years no less - to gmail; however these login issues, especially combined with the spoofing, have me genuinely concerned about the security of my account as well as being a phenomenal annoyance.

Any advice gratefully received!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email Authentication Failed, can't log in to VM, Webmail

Based on your description I would say your account has been locked by VM as they have evidence of it being used to send spam. When this happens they usually send a text message if they have a mobile no. for you. Otherwise they send a letter that can take several days to arrive.

Either wait a few days for the Forum team to respond or call in on 150 Virgin landline/Mobile or 0345 454 1111
allimiller
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi - I have exactly the same problem today, I will try customer services this evening to see if I can get a solution, I will update tomorrow

Allison

0 Kudos
Marmot2
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Still encountering this issue.  I have tried logging in on multiple browsers, have cleared caches, and am currently trying to log on from a different computer, all with the same results.

I run an antirvirus scan daily and have had no incidences of infection.

I would very much appreciate a response from the forum staff in order to get this investigated further.

Many thanks Smiley Happy

*edit for typo

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

HI Marmot2,

I am sorry for your email issues. Graham_A does make a valid point and I would urge you to check for any letters or text messages from our Email Security team.

Having said that I'd like to check things from here for you. Please reply to my PM'd request for your email address (purple envelope icon, top right of page) and I'll see what I can find out for you.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
niloctap
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I have exactly the same problem with one of my virgin.net email addresses, using Thunderbird (authentication failure). My other email address with the same server settings is working as normal. I have never sent spam (although I'm constantly bombarded with it myself) and haven't received any notification from Virgin. On-line chat is permanently too busy, so cannot get help there and the support phone line is automated, so not much help there either. Any help here if possible? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It is not necessarily the case that you have the same problem. You may have the same symptoms but a different issue.

First question. Do you still have a paid for, current VM broadband account?

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi niloctap, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to see you have been having trouble accessing your emails. 

If you no longer have a paid for broadband account with us then it may be that the email has now been closed. Apologies if this is the case. 

For more information on this take a look here 

If you do have an active broadband account please clear the cache and cookies and let let us know how you get on. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos