Menu
clegsr
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Email Authentication Denied VM311 Blueyonder

hi,

recently I have been having issues with my gmail account, which I use to send email  on behalf of my blueyonder account.

The thing is, I checked the passwords and settings in gmail, and I am using pot 465  and SSL is on

i am not sure how to fix this as some emails get sent and some bounce even though I know the email addresses are Ok.

i tried changing my blueyonder password on the virginmdia website but when I enter that password into my gmail settings it says there is an authentication error.

any help please

0 Kudos
Ridzizen2
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email Authentication Denied VM311 Blueyonder

Hey buddy.....

usually authentication problem occurs in email only bcoz of two reasons...either when the password you are entering is incorrect or the email adress is incorrect. Now m sure you must b entering correct email address. Just make sure you are entering the right password. If the password you are entering you think is right. Try to reset it by contactibg virgin media technical support (TSC). Once a chap out there will reset your password, you can try to enter that in your email client ( iphone, android, outlook, windows live)....also by going into server settings you must make sure that the incoming server of your email is "pop3.ntlworld.com" or pop3.virginmedia.com" and the port number is "995" similarly the outgoiing server is "smtp.virginmedia.com" or "smtp.ntlworld.com" and port number is 465. This will help you in overcoming the problem of unsent emails. 

- I work for Virgin Media, but opinions are my own.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
clegsr
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks but I hadn't changed my password, it had been saved in my gmail settings but recently it has started giving me this error.

0 Kudos
clegsr
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

now it seems to b working again, it is intermittent and I think is when I try to send an email using an alias, and/or if I try to send to 2 or more people then I get the undeliverable error.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I believe the full error is 500 Authentication denied (VM 311).

It's actually not down to an incorrect password which is 535 Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM 300). 

Rather this is down to an anti hack feature on Virgin's system that doesn't play nicely with Gmail's outgoing SMTP.

Essentially when you send an email via a third party address Gmail's outgoing SMTP server connects to Virgin's outbound relays in the same way your standard SMTP client does.  HOWEVER the connection can come from one of several different IP addresses as Gmail have several outbound servers.

If several messages are sent within a short space of time, VM's system counts the different IP's used to authenticate and if it reaches a certain threshold, locks out any further authentication attempts for a time, with this message.

@Nicola_C - Has explained this before now so I'm not breaking any confidences by posting this.  Nicola, would you mind taking a look at this and speaking with the Email Team?

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for picking this up Tim, I will be happy to take it further.

Good Morning clegsr

Apologies you are having problems sending via our SMTP servers, I will send you a private message to gather some more information.

Many thanks

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
clegsr
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply, that seems to make sense to me, as I am travelling at the moment and have no wifi, so when I get to my hotel and pick up the wifi on my phone and iPad, I am sending various replies from both devices all at once.

i could not send last night, but now today it seems ok, but I didn't get many emails today.

i sent Nicola a private message.

thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
clegsr
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Now I am getting a different error!
The error that the other server returned was:
525 Authentication Denied (VM321)
(SMTP AUTH failed with the remote server)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

That's odd - VM321 is usually associated with the 500 error code, unless VM have changed it.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello clegsr

Thanks for getting back, I have asked our email platform engineers to take a look, we will let you know once we hear back.

@ravenstar68 good spot we have changed it, I will PM you with some more information.

Many thanks

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos