Menu
McQ-Ball
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Email Address Migration

My parents have recently closed their Virgin Media account, however both myself and Mum use our @ntlworld.com email address as primary mail accounts.

I have my own Virgin Media account and want to get the two email address migrated under my account.  One Virgin rep told me it can be done another told me it couldn't.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email Address Migration

I think one of the agents was possibly a little confused over what you wanted.

Virgin cannot move individual email addresses between accounts.  The only process to migrate addresses is what Virgin refer to as a move and transfer, whereby they take the emails from one account and completely overwrite the addresses on the target account.

Therefore they could not add your parents emails to your account without you losing your email addresses.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
McQ-Ball
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tim,

So if I export the mail from both accounts to a PST file then have Virgin do what they need to do, can they move the accounts?

I've been using that email address for over 10 years, God knows how many various online accounts etc I have registered to it.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi McQ-Ball,

The situation is pretty much as ravenstar has outlined.

If you have a VM account with an email address that you use, then we should be able to transfer (subject to authorisation from all account holders concerned) the email addresses from the closed account to the current.

However the transferred addresses would replace any on the current account.

Or do you perhaps have an active VM account but don't use the default email address on it and have an email address linked to your mother's account?

Keep me posted please so I can help with this Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
McQ-Ball
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hey Jen,

I had my dad call Virgin last week and they said the address could not be moved because of a "server" issue.  I work in the IT industry as a sys admin so I think he just palmed my dad off with any old tale.  My dad gave permission for the address to be moved.  

I have only one address in use on my own VM account, I was hoping to get the 2 address I need added it to it.  I can export all mail in the accounts to a .pst file via outlook in order to save the mail.

Surely there is something on the back end (exchange boxes I assume) where those two mail alias could be moved under my account?

Thanks

Chris 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris,

Let me take a look at how the email addresses sit on our systems so that I can make an informed decision about whether or not a transfer can be done. Please reply to my PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) with the requested data and I'll get back to you.

Jen
Forum Team

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@McQ-Ball

You seem to be missing the point.

The only process Virgin have to move email accounts is the move and transfer.

These are typically used when someone moves house and ends up with a new Virgin Media account at the new property.  What happens is the existing email addresses are linked to the new account and ANY & ALL addresses on the new account are deleted.

This means:

1. Your parents' email and password would become the main login for YOUR account.
  2. You would lose YOUR existing Virgin Media addresses.

Virgin Media do not have a process to merge email addresses in the way you are hoping.

Tim

Edit - Oops, crossed posts with Jen's - well at least she's going to look for you.  FWIW I would be happy to be wrong here.  But you should be prepared for disappointment.  That way any other result will come as a welcome surprise. Smiley Happy

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.