Menu
BuckoA51
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

E-mails never recieved

My mum has an issue with her e-mail account whereby certain e-mails are never received. This is affecting a newsletter I send from my website which she subscribes to. We've tried sending the newsletter multiple times and it never reaches her inbox. Her spam filter is set to off.

The e-mail was sent through Sendgrid, who, in my dashboard, say the e-mail was "blocked" by SpamCop. We do not want some automated system deciding what e-mails we get and don't get, that's why we turned spam filtering off and manage it ourselves.

Please tell me how I COMPLETELY turn spam filtering OFF?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: E-mails never recieved

Hi BuckoA51, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to see that emails are not being received by your Mum. 

I have not heard of SpamCop being something we use from our side. Are you getting any sort of message when the SpamCop dashboard notification comes through. If so what is the message in full?

Doing a little research I found How can I get removed from SpamCop's blocking system? (please be aware link is external and we're not responsible for its contents). 

Are you getting the SpamCop message on all devices? 

Are sending from a Virgin media connection? 

Are you able to send from webmail

If the spam filtering is already showing as off then there shouldn't be any other steps to take to turn it off. 

Keep me posted. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
BuckoA51
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma,

The block seems to be lifted now, but I can confirm it was only affecting NTL/Virgin media addresses as far as I can tell from my end. E-mails to other accounts were not blocked. I'm using Sendgrid SMTP, I need these to get through to mum as she proof reads them for me (bless her Smiley Happy )

Email  Reason 550 mx4.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net bizsmtp Connection rejected. Your IP 167.89.55.43 is in RBL. Please see (would not let me post this part) SMTP-ID <32be7d297de640626d9419bed354e684@(would not let me post this part)> Processed String February 24, 2017 - 08:31:29 AM MSGID hHjUGbuRQsiJMnyCwpVfQQ.filter0293p1las1-17887-58B043C0-4D.0
[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi BuckoA51, 

Thanks for getting back in touch and for the information provided. 

It may be worth you taking a look at https://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

They will be able to show you if your IP is blacklisted and information on what to do if it is. 

Let me know how you get on. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
BuckoA51
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The problem seemed to resolve itself for a couple of days, now it's back again, my mothers account seems to be arbitrarily blocking certain e-mails (possibly) due to this spamcop.net thing that is somewhere on your network. E-mails to Gmail, outlook etc accounts are working fine, so this has to be something Virgin Media related.

Please advise, we do not want our e-mail accounts throwing out e-mails we might legitimately want to receive!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

BuckoA51
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'm talking to them too, but mum wants to opt out of all automatic, arbitrary filtering on the server side as she's worried she will miss other e-mails without even being given the chance to see if they're spam or not.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The root of the problem is that your email is being transmitted through a Sendgrid server which is shared by multiple Sendgrid customers and one or more of these customers has been detected as a source of spam. The only safe way round this, for you, is to obtain a dedicated IP address as suggested in the Sendgrid link I sent you. No email provider will drop reputable blacklists from their mail services just to accommodate a single customer. And if the Sendgrid server is on the Spamcop list today, it is quite probable that it will appear on other lists at any moment. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

AFAIK there's no way to turn off RBL blacklisting individually as this is usually acted on before the Email server sees the email addresses, virtually all ESP's use these to some degree or other.

However, the issue is that Sendgrid not only needs to delist their servers, they need to take steps to remove the bad actors who are abusing their system.  Note that this may be down to hacked Sendgrid accounts rather than the spammers themselves having their own accounts with the company, although I do note that they do allow 30 days free usage, so the latter is possible.

At the time of writing the IP address in the bounce message is on multiple blacklists

Blacklist Reason TTL ResponseTime  

LISTEDCASA CBL167.89.55.43 was listed  Detail1080078Ignore
 LISTEDDNS Realtime Blackhole List167.89.55.43 was listed  Detail300109Ignore
 LISTEDLASHBACK167.89.55.43 was listed  Detail30094Ignore
 LISTEDNoSolicitado167.89.55.43 was listed  Detail171994Ignore
 LISTEDSORBS SPAM167.89.55.43 was listed  Detail360078Ignore
 LISTEDSPAMCANNIBAL167.89.55.43 was listed  Detail4320078Ignore
 LISTEDSPAMCOP167.89.55.43 was listed  Detail178Ignore
 LISTEDUCEPROTECTL1167.89.55.43 was listed  Detail210078Ignore

So your email is not only going to get bounced by Virgin Media, it's likely to be bounced by a number of other ESP's (I know Hotmail has used Spamcop in the past).

I note as well that the current post says Spamcop will not accept manual delisting requests.  This normally happens when an email server has been appearing on their lists too many times.

Also note that UCE Protect L1 entries take a total of 7 days to expire, assuming no further spam is seen.  And while they have a manual delisting option, they charge a hefty administration fee for the privilege, so most ESP's won't take that option.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

BuckoA51
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

E-mail really is becoming useless as a reliable means of communication Smiley Sad

0 Kudos