Menu
pbrinkworth
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

E Mails

I am still having pop ups all the time which have been going on now for months being

Now and again a message appears at the top in a box "0 An Unknown Error Occurred"

Also a pop up appears at the bottom of the screen only for about a second if that, then disappears at the bottom of the screen saying "Server Unreachable"

If I'm drafting an e mail I know I will have to save it as when any one of these messages pops up only for a split second I know that e mail will not send thus I have to copy and paste before I press send and compile a new one.

This is happening on a regular basis.

What does it mean "server unreachable" and why so many error warnings all the time.

It only seems to happen with Virgin e mail, pain in the proverbially half the time as you have to check the sent box to make sure it actually went.

Come on Virgin sort it out  

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: E Mails

You are not going to get any different answer to your e-mails from you one you got in an earlier thread of yours here about this:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Warning-Messages/m-p/3271828

The system is fragile, unresponsive and frankly not fit for purpose in its current state. VM say they are working on it but improvement seems to be slow in coming. Which is why despite the fact that I have been with VM and its predecessor companies for over 30 years I do now not use their e-mail system for my regular e-mail work.

ISP related e-mail is a bad idea because of the problems caused if you ever move ISPs and find that your previous address get closed.

There are better non-ISP related providers of e-mail out there and you should perhaps do what I have done and move to one of them if you wish to avoid seeing messages about system errors, which are not your fault and about which you can do nothing, and have a more reliable and consistent service.

I don't think I could put this any clearer?

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You are not going to get any different answer to your e-mails from you one you got in an earlier thread of yours here about this:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Warning-Messages/m-p/3271828

The system is fragile, unresponsive and frankly not fit for purpose in its current state. VM say they are working on it but improvement seems to be slow in coming. Which is why despite the fact that I have been with VM and its predecessor companies for over 30 years I do now not use their e-mail system for my regular e-mail work.

ISP related e-mail is a bad idea because of the problems caused if you ever move ISPs and find that your previous address get closed.

There are better non-ISP related providers of e-mail out there and you should perhaps do what I have done and move to one of them if you wish to avoid seeing messages about system errors, which are not your fault and about which you can do nothing, and have a more reliable and consistent service.

I don't think I could put this any clearer?

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
pbrinkworth
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Who are you with Super User please mate as your recommendation I class as tops

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Advertising is not allowed on the Forum or anything approaching advertising. However you might want to consider services like GMail (from Google) or Outlook.com/Outlook on the web (Microsoft). Bear in mind that phone support for these services is non-existent. You have to rely on the web and their community forums.

There are also companies like Zoho who do commercial hosting but provide free accounts as well.

There are other services you might consider. Buying your own domain name with a fully hosted e-mail service (won't be free) is an option if you are a heavy user or run a business or other similar activity.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Get both gmail and outlook if you are worried about outages. If they both go down, chances are the rest of the Internet went also, and you are back to pigeons

They are both way more reliable then virgin.

0 Kudos
stuart345
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Another solution is to go to browser settings and maybe advanced settings depending on browser and click blick pop up windows. This will stop a lot of third paryy sites opening new advertising windows. Blocking javascript can be useful in general unless you need it for this forum and similar issues. Java is luttle bits of code that help control your systens begaviour on some sites. Also a hackers delight if they can get you to click a link or such to ok its,launch. A well desifned server with memory will not need javascript to run its site. Many forums and blofs need jave to reduce aerver traffic.

The problem can renain if you have a virus you may get random pop ups. An adware bkocker can help as can "not" authorising adobe flash. This last can freeze the ads on the page and prevent them changing or even loading fully.

All are small measures to help you control what you share on your system.
0 Kudos