Menu
robl
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Downloading NTL mail problem

I'm using Thunderbird to download mail.  It's been working fine (apart from all the times it hasn't of course) for a while but in the last day or two it tries to download mail from the server then gives up.  It will eventually be ably to download the emails but it takes several attempts.

Presume I'm not the only one having this problem.  My third part app on my phone is happy to download them.

Robl

PS I now notice the settings on the phone for the server name is pop3.ntlworld.com.  The one on Thunderbird had virginmedia.  I thought I'd kept both the same.  I changed the Thunderbird to ntlworld and now it's ok.  Haven't knowingly changed the settings for months and it's been working. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Downloading NTL mail problem

Hi robl, 

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to see that you had been having trouble with your emails. 

It sounds like you have solved the issue now? 

As long as the settings match the ones found here then you shouldn't have any more trouble. 

There was a fault last week which may have inadvertently affected your settings as some of the servers may have needed a re-set. 

How are things looking for you now? 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
robl
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post.  It was the settings in Thunderbird which got corrupted.  Not sure why.  I've had this before where they've reverted to older or wrong settings.  Possibly due to me using a backup and restore program written for Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird.  Or not.  Anyway I should check these if I get problems.  I don't change them knowingly if they are working.

I would have deleted my original post but wasn't able to see a way other than editing it.  Sorry to waste your time but grateful for the confirmation that I now have the settings correct again.

Have a successful day!

Robl

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello Robl

Thanks for getting back, I am pleased you managed to fix it. As an aside I use Thunderbird and Firefox and find the best way to back up is to close them and simply copy the profile folder, do not need to rely on any tools, it is great the way that they store everything in there. 

Managed to find this link with some information for Firefox, the Thunderbird profile folder is normally in the same place by the way https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-firefox-stores-user-data

Hope that helps

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
robl
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that.  I did do a restore once by copying the profile but I'll use it more often now I think there may be a problem using other methods.

Robl

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi robl,

Thanks for coming back and letting us know things are resolved now. Smiley Happy 

If you have any further issues you know where to find us.

In the meantime, don't be a stranger around the Community! Feel free to browse through the Boards and jump into a thread if you have any advice or tips that may be of use to others.

Take care. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos