Menu
steve_d308
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Distribution Lists in New Email

Hi,

Just started using the new email and I can't send email with a fairly large distribution list as BCC. I've had no problem in the past few years using the BCC facility but each time I try to send a message now it fails to send. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Steve Davidson

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Distribution Lists in New Email

Hello Steve

Sorry you are having a problem trying to send a large list as BCC. I'm speculating that perhaps this is inhibited due to the possible spamming implications, not sure but would like to find out more.

Do you have any more information please, do you get an error report?

How many addresses are in the TO/CC/BCC when it fails?

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
steve_d308
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I spoke to someone at Virgin and was advised that the new system will not allow more that 100 addresses so I've reduced the BCC list to less than 100 addresses but am still getting the following message when I try to send to my club news group. What is going on?

Error

Message could not be sent. Error message from mail transport server: 452 - 452 4.1.1 ... temporary failure

0 Kudos
steve_d308
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Following the advice from Virgin I created 3 news groups with around 80 addresses in each and intended to send out a main email then do 2 'forward' emails with the other 2 groups. Annoyingly, the groups don't sort alphabetically so creating the groups has been a pain. I've been unable to contact the members of my club for 2 weeks or so.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello Steve

Thank you for the update.

Really sorry about this, 452 is a too many recipients error so as you say it does look like the new mail platform is a bit more critical with the BCC field.

It is such a shame when measures taken to protect our platform from exploitation by spammers impacts genuine email activity.

I hope your groups method successfully finds a way around it.

Please keep us updated.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
steve_d308
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello Nicola,

Thanks for your help, but even though I've reduced my main group into 3 bite-sized chunks of 80 addresses each I still can't get an email to send and am still getting the same error message.

I could perhaps understand this if the email system was a freebie but I'm paying Virgin for this and not getting a useable or fit for purpose product. Can I expect a refund from Virgin I wonder?

0 Kudos
Hastypenny
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

In response to your point that you are paying for something that you are no longer receiving, I'm afraid to say that Virgin Media would definitely tell you, you are NOT!

I have just hit a problem with the so-called Virgin Media "upgrade" which has resulted in reduced functionality in that you can no longer copy BCC addresses into a new e-mail

I called 150 and was on the phone for an hour to 2 technicians. 

They couldn't create a BCC list from a sent e-mail. Every time they tried it either didn't copy at all or didn't copy correctly. It appeared at one point to pick up the set of e-mail addresses but it only copied a subset of the original group. They used a random e-mail as a test and inadvertently forwarded it to 6 people from my original list. They couldn't tell me how to set up a distribution list and add existing email addresses to it. They couldn't tell me how to edit an existing email address and add it to a new distribution list. 

When I pointed out that their "upgrade" was actually "downgrade" they said that they didn't have to support e-mail at all and it wasn't something I was paying for. 

So I guess they are just expecting us to keep paying and live with it!

0 Kudos
steve_d308
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Oh dear, just as I thought. Seems to me that Virgin have released a poor product (hopefully unknowingly) and don't know how to resolve these basic issues with distribution lists and other problems within the platform.

Can someone from Virgin please, please, sort these issues out or at least inform customers that they recognise that there are problems and that they are working on them?

0 Kudos
donford
Superfast
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I found a workaround to the too many recipients problem when using the old system.

i simply added a 'Send as" to my Hotmail account and now for bulk mail 150-200 at a time send them from my Hotmail using my NTL address as the 'Send as"

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi steve_d308,

Thanks for coming back to us.

Could I ask if your are sending from an Email client or directly from Webmail?

When you send mail on the mailing list are you placing an email address in the TO field. If not could you try placing an email address in the TO field as well as the email list in the BCC field and let me know how this goes.

Speak soon

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos