Menu
Pumpkins
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Disappearing attachments

I have one correspondent whose attachments have in the past always been delivered via Outlook Express to my PC. However, just recently, I have received two e-mails from this sender. The attachments are shown, and can be read, if I access the e-mail via the Virgin Media e-mail wbesite. But they have not been shown in Outlook Express on my PC. VERY STRANGE. Can anybody suggest what might be happening? (I receive attachments as normal from all other senders).

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Disappearing attachments

What email client is the sender using and if they recently changed or upgraded it do the dates correlate with when you noticed the issue? If it does then ask the sender to look at what send preference their email client offers.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pumpkins.

If your correspondent is using the mail client Microsoft Outlook there is a  known and long standing issue regarding attachments.

If the sender formats the message as 'Rich Text' in Outlook and attaches a document to the message then very few email clients can handle the  attachment successfully when they receive it. Microsoft have acknowledged that for a long time and their solution is that Outlook users should send the emails as 'Plain Text' unless they are sending to other Microsoft Outlook users or to MS Exchange users.

I think you will find the attachment will appear if your correspondent resends it with an email formatted as plain text.

It seems bizarre I know but over the years I have seen that problem from both sides. Years ago I used Outlook Express and regularly had problems with not seeing attachments from Outlook users. For several years now I have used Outlook and I always have to remember to send emails with attachments as plain text or I get complaints from many of my contacts that I have forgotten to add my attachment.

By the way, I would strongly suggest you move off Outlook Express. Not because of this problem but because it has not been updated for years and could  pose a security threat to your pc.

Coenoby

If someone posts a helpful message you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as an Accepted Solution.
0 Kudos
Pumpkins
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes, the problem correlates timewise with a change of the sender's server. Sender uses Office 365 as its email client. What send preferences should they set/avoid?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pumpkins, 

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to see you have been having trouble with attachments. 

It isn't something I have come across before but it may help to take a look at An attachment does not appear in a Plain Text message in Outlook 2016 and Change the message format to HTML, Rich Text, or plain text (please be aware links are external and we're not responsible for its contents). 

How are things looking for you now? If you're still having trouble let us know and we'll be happy to take another look. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos