Menu
Orko
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Difficulty resolving outgoing authentication issue

So I'm having what seems to be - from looking at other posts - a common SMTP authentification problem with older email addresses on Virgin Media (in this case one ending in blueyonder.co.uk).  I've been in touch with technical support and I made sure I had tried everything they would likely ask and had all the information they might need first.

- Error code when sending mail is 525 - Authentication Denied

- Yes, password works fine when receiving mail.

- Yes, password works to log onto webmail to both send and receive mail.

- Yes, I've tried different clients - Thunderbird, Outlook, my inbuilt Android mail client and adding my blueyonder account as a secondary account in the Gmail app.

- SMTP settings are: smtp.blueyonder.co.uk, Port: 465, Security: SSL/TLS, Authentification: Normal Password. Username: Full email address (although I've tried other security and auth settings to no avail)

- Yes, I've tried changing my password.

I spoke to the tech support chap, told him all of this and also tried to point him to this section of the support forums where people had been having similar problems and superusers were explaining it was a known authentication issue on addresses which had been incorrectly marked as inactive.  He checked my account and said there was no issue with it.  He then suggested Gadget Rescue would be able to help me, so I took the number.  Calling them, however, it looks like they're just a paid service for people who don't know how to set email up, and I get the impression they'll just slowly talk me through inputting the same server settings I already have into my client.  Is there any way to get someone to have a more detailed look at my SMTP settings in the backend? 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Difficulty resolving outgoing authentication issue

@Nicola_C or @Jen_A can you take a look at this?

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Content removed because issue already referred to Forum Team

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos

All Replies
Orko
Tuning in
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Guess nobody here can help, any suggestion what to say to support next time I call them so I don't have to just go through the rigmarole of repeating everything I've already tried and then be told my account looks normal, please?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

525 Authentication Denied actually has several different causes.  There should also be a VM code in brackets e.g (VM304) which helps narrow this down further.

Ravenstar68

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

What are you talking about? The VM team don't work weekends and as you have surmised it is a problem that only they can advise on. It's Monday today. It'll take them at least a week to get to your post unless they spot it. In the error message did you see a VM code (VM xxx). Would be helpful to see that.

Remember - this is a community forum primarily. Users help other users. It is not an instant means of contacting VM technical support.

Patience is required - as it has been required of others with a similar issue.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Orko
Tuning in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

As you say, it depends on VM spotting it, which seems increasingly unlikely as it moves to page 3 with no replies. I don't want to appear impatient, but thankfully it's bump to page 1 has yielded a helpful reply suggesting an additional error code I can grab from the log next time I run Thunderbird in debug mode, for which I'm very grateful.

I'll add that to the original post as soon as I can get it, which should make things a bit easier if someone from Virgin spots it, or I get in touch with support again.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

If you had been diligently reading the other threads on this issue you would have appreciated that the additional code was an essential requirement for diagnosing from a T'bird log. Indeed this Forum sticky tells all you need to know and do to get the code for us to look at.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/32371...

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
Orko
Tuning in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Looks like the VM code is 304.

SMTP Response: 525 Authentication Denied (VM304)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Nicola_C or @Jen_A can you take a look at this?

Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Content removed because issue already referred to Forum Team

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Orko,

Welcome to our Community, glad to see you've already experienced the support of some of our Superusers Smiley Happy Thanks to them the fact we know which error code is returned means we can get this raised quickly. 
Also I tested the email address that you registered on this Forum with and that is showing an SMTP failure so I don't need to waste time asking which email address is affected (it's also the only one on your account so I think I'm safe in assuming I have the right one). 

I've raised a request to I.T. (to update the agg records), fault ref: P007600276, and I'll be in touch as soon they get back to me. Typically this can take 3-5 days, but can be faster if workload isn't too heavy.

Speak soon Smiley Happy

Thanks ravenstar for @'ing me and thanks Howard for thinking of doing so Smiley Tongue

Jen
Forum Team