Menu
aerosteam
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Deleting large numbers of emails

Hi everyone. When I say large I mean really large, I' m talking about 40,000!

The best way I have found is using Webmail do a search for the sender and then delete in small blocks using the Select all box.

The app does not enjoy working with these large numbers and keeps freezing.

Is there a better way?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Deleting large numbers of emails

aerosteam wrote:

The best way I have found is using Webmail do a search for the sender and then delete in small blocks using the Select all box.

Is there a better way?

Actually you can delete in much larger blocks in webmail.  Select the first email in the list, then just hold down the Scroll Down arrow for ages and then click on Select All and Delete and it will delete all messages you have scrolled through.

Also in webmail you can delete everything from your In-box or any other folder by Right-clicking on the folder and select 'Empty This Folder'.

Both these options can take quite a long time to execute so don't necessarily assume your app has frozen.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos

All Replies
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

aerosteam wrote:

Is there a better way?

Actually you can delete in much larger blocks in webmail.  Select the first email in the list, then just hold down the Scroll Down arrow for ages and then click on Select All and Delete and it will delete all messages you have scrolled through.

Also in webmail you can delete everything from your In-box or any other folder by Right-clicking on the folder and select 'Empty This Folder'.

Both these options can take quite a long time to execute so don't necessarily assume your app has frozen.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Use an email client (like Thunderbird) to manage your email account(s) via IMAP.

0 Kudos
aerosteam
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Dave_cq wrote:

aerosteam wrote:

Is there a better way?

Thank you for your helpful suggestion, by using the down arrow it is certainly quicker but with still 35,000 to go I think that I will have to use the nuclear option of emptying the Inbox having moved those few emails that have a relevance.

aerosteam
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

用心棒 wrote:

Use an email client (like Thunderbird) to manage your email account(s) via IMAP.

Thank you for the suggestion. I downloaded the Thunderbird app set up the account and it started to download the emails. At this stage I realised that there were 84,000 emails, the 35,000 were the unread ones!

It would have taken many hours to download the emails and there was no way I was going to delete them individually, so having saved the 'must have' emails I emptied the Inbox, and zap they were all gone.

0 Kudos