Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
mshelley1
Helpful Answer

Deleting email from server

Until recently (the famous changeover?), emails were deleted from the server when I downloaded them onto my PC.  Now, they stay there, and I can only delete them by going onto web mail.  Microsoft Outlook is configured to delete on download, but it doesn't work amymore.  Any ideas?

Martin

Please use plain text.
Good to Know
gump316

Re: Deleting email from server

Taken from http://www.virginmedia.com/help/virginmediamail/4_pop.php#13290

POP Download settings - keeping copies in your webmail inbox when you download messages to Outlook or other programs

By default, when messages are downloaded by Outlook Express or other email programs, Virgin Media Mail is set to keep Virgin Media Mail's copy in the Inbox. This means that we keep a copy in your webmail inbox so it can be accessed online via webmail, or by other email programs on different computers or mobile devices.

If you want to change this, you can go to 
Forwarding & POP/IMAP within Settings, and next to When messages are accessed with POP select one of these options in the drop-list: 
- archive Virgin Media Mail's copy
- delete Virgin Media Mail's copy
If you chose to keep or archive Virgin Media Mail's copy, these messages will eventually fill up your mail quota, but remember that with Virgin Media Mail you do have lots of space.

Please note that some email programs may be set to delete your messages when they are downloaded, but the setting within Virgin Media Mail will override the options set in your email program.

John

--
I have previously worked for one of Virgin Media's partners.
My personal site: http://espirian.co.uk/
Please use plain text.
Crafty
johntabb

is it possible to automatically belete mails from the bin as well as the inbox when downloaded to a pop3 client?

regards John

Please use plain text.
Virgin Media Staff
danbayliss

[ Edited ]

Hi johntabb

Emails are automatically deleted from the bin after 30 days. Its not possible to manually delete them from the bin using POP3.

The only other way to delete them within your client is to use IMAP.

Dan Bayliss
Virgin Media
Please use plain text.
Crafty
johntabb

can  IMAP automatically clear the bin?

john

Please use plain text.
Virgin Media Staff
danbayliss

Yes. When using IMAP the bin will appear as a folder. Any mails you delete in the bin folder will then be removed from the server

Dan Bayliss
Virgin Media
Please use plain text.
Crafty
johntabb

Ah! so I would have to both change my email service and double handle the emails to delete them fully.

THis isn't good.

is it possible to reduce the mailbox size to force the bin to be emptied sooner than 30 days

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
cubit1

So how come when i delete yet more of this unwanted junk/spam (none of which i got until the major downgrade) it comes straight back as new unread mail.?

Thankfully, none of this nonsense occurs on my other, non Virgin accounts, so my Virgin account is about to become an unused relic.

I've still not read why we, the customer, is expected to resolve all this mess. Virgin caused it, they should fix it.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
crimble

I use Outlook and emails were deleted from server when deleted from my Deleted Items Folder in Outlook.  Despite settings to this affect it no longer happens.  Having to delete again on server - annoying!!  Any solution?

Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
Doctor9fan

Apparently using the recent 'setting' (recent:smileyhappy:before your username in OE/WLM will in effect delete messages in a similar way to what you describe. Having used this myself it does seem to work in that messages are deleted from webmail upon deleting from deleted items folder/s & then closing the email client.

Please use plain text.