Menu
billybob5591
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Delete spoofed email account

Hi. I have been suffering from the email "bounce-back" problem, indicating that my email account has been hacked / spoofed. It is the primary email address on my Virgin Media account, so I do not have the option to delete it. I have set up a new account with another provider, and have advised all the relevant parties of my new address. I have also registered the new email address as my log-on to VM. I rang VM the other day, and asked them to delete the primary email address, and predictably enough was told by the tech guy that they can't do this. I suggested that I close my account with VM, then re-open it and start again, at which point he put me through to "relationships". The chap I spoke to there said no problem, he could delete my email address, and would I hang on whilst he did it. After less than a minute, he informed me that he had deleted it. Of course, as you will have guessed, the account is still there! I can send an email to it, there is no bounce-back saying recipient does not exist etc. I can log-in to webmail on that address, and everything is still there.

I appreciate that deleting the email address will not stop spoof emails going out, but at least it might stop VM from blocking my account and me having to re-set the password every couple of weeks!

My wife's account is also suffering the same problem, but as that is a secondary account I will be able to delete that one myself when we are ready.

So, my question is, can a primary email address be deleted, or changed? Or do I just have to leave things as they are?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Delete spoofed email account

The answer to your direct question is no: a primary account cannot be deleted. But you don't necessarily have to leave things as they are. The primary account is a permanent fixture of your VM account. And as you rightly say deleting an account of any kind won't generally stop the problem you are describing. If this is spoofing or hacking you need to do different things. It all begs the question why you are trying to do things that won't solve the issue?

First of all you need to know if it is spoofing or hacking. You can tell if it is hacking. Are the bounce backs coming from mailer.daemon@virginmedia.com? If they are then follow this guidance:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

If the bounce backs are coming from another address - then your account has been spoofed not hacked. The spoofers will move on eventually but all they need for their activities is a plausible e-mail address - dead or alive. So there is little you can do to stop it. Patience is required. In the end it will abate.

Read this about spoofing:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-Spoofing/td-p/2941294

Finally if you no longer use you primary address not accessing it directly by way of an e-mail client or web mail for 150 days will see it closed forever. Except that its address and it's password will still be required and still work for access to My Virginmedia and all its associated services. Read this:

https://my.virginmedia.com/customer-news/articles/virginmediamail.html

That is the full picture. VM CS have given you incorrect advice, we see it all time and complain about it too. Next time come here when things get tough and we'll try and sort it out. But as you can see all the information to tell you what to do and how to do it is on the VM web site and on this Forum too.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
billybob5591
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your prompt reply, and you have answered the question that VM couldn't!

You ask why I am trying to do things that won't solve the issue. From my viewpoint, the issue is that VM keep blocking my account at regular intervals and telling me to change my password etc, due to the high number of bounce-backs. I agree that it won't stop spam emails going out in my name, but as you say, that will abate in time.

The bounce-backs are coming from both mailer.daemon@virginmedia.com and from other servers. I presume my email address was harvested as part of the "alleged" security breach a few years ago. I have followed both guidance routes you mention.

I wasn't aware of the 150 day limit on not accessing the account, and it strikes me that is the way to solve the issue. I certainly no longer use the account, and I have already changed my user name on the VM account to my new email address. I have now set up on the old primary email account an auto-reply saying the account is no longer being monitored, and also an auto-forward to my new email address so I can catch any remaining senders using the old address.

So I will now not touch that address for the next 150 days, and hopefully my problem will be solved!

Again, many thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your comments. I do wish you had mentioned that VM were blocking your accounts for spam. That makes it all the more important that you change the account password to stop it happening again or stopping the letters from VM. It is clear that the hackers have got hold of - probably guessed - your account password. Good luck.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
billybob5591
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hopefully logging in with the new account will help, but I will also change the password to something totally different and complicated. Thanks for the advice.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

First half of reply wrong - will make no difference. Second half of reply - totally correct, well thought through.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos