Menu
captainscarlet1
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Delete my Primary email account

Hi, I no longer use Virgin, and need to delete my primary account. Can someone advise how I do this please.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Delete my Primary email account

captainscarlet1 wrote:

Hi, I no longer use Virgin, and need to delete my primary account. Can someone advise how I do this please.

You can't remove it because it is tied into billing etc. You can however stop accessing it via email clients / webmail for 150 days then the email functionality (inbox/sending/receiving/etc) of it will be permanently gone. The username change option will allow you to set a 3rd party email address to login to My VM with for that account.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

And if you've disconnected your Virgin Media services, all the My VM accounts will delete themselves no later than 90 days after the disconnection date of your services.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
captainscarlet1
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I do not have a billing account. This email address was set up nearly 18 years ago when virgin.net was just starting. I simply want to remove it because the address is sending loads of spam emails to all my contacts. Very disappointing for all. So there must be a way of deleting this account.  

They sent men to the moon years ago and your telling me that this cannot be deleted?  Come on!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

captainscarlet1 wrote:

Hi,

I do not have a billing account. This email address was set up nearly 18 years ago when virgin.net was just starting. I simply want to remove it because the address is sending loads of spam emails to all my contacts. Very disappointing for all. So there must be a way of deleting this account.  

They sent men to the moon years ago and your telling me that this cannot be deleted?  Come on!

The extra information you have supplied suggests this is an 'orphaned' account that has somehow escaped the normal deletion process.  A Forum Team member will be able to look at this and arrange to get the old account closed.  They will contact you via a private message to go through the necessary security checks.  It will take them several days to get to this thread on current response times.

If the email address is being spoofed to make it appear to be sending spam, closing the underlying email address won't stop the problem.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If you had a billing account then it would be possible as there would be appropriate security questions that could be asked to confirm your identify as the user of the email account.

However without a billing account or any way of confirming your identify against verified information, then I don't think Virgin Media can delete the mailbox on request.

I'd also point out there is no guarantee that the SPAM is actually coming from the email mailbox itself in the first place. It may instead be coming a 'spoofed' mailbox that somewhere in the last 18 years had managed to get a copy of your address book somehow.

For those people that you are in contact with, you'll need to advise them to mark the @virgn.net as spam and no longer in use by you, within their own email service which will redirect it into their Junk mail systems - where they can then ignore it.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello captainscarlet1

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry you are receiving spam email, as Ben mentioned it may be spoofed however I think it is best we take a look. I will send you a forum private message to gather some more information.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos