Menu
TJY
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Dead person's cancelled account being spoofed!

So, my step-dad died last November, & my mum cancelled his account & the broadband (she doesn't use a computer) in January. And now I have received an email purporting to be from my dead step-dad, inviting me to click on a link. I cannot begin to express how distressing it was to see his name in my email in box, let alone to realise that his 'dead' account is actually being used. What sort of incompetents can't cancel an account properly?! Especially when the person concerned has died. Horrible. 

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Dead person's cancelled account being spoofed!

Without seeing the mail in question - and to be frank I'd really like to.  It's hard to comment definitively.  Please don't post the mail on the main forums without removing the leading portions of any email addresses though.

The sad fact is that if your late father's email address is in the hands of spammers, unless it's actually been sent via Virgin's servers there is little Virgin can do to stop it being spoofed, although a start would be to change their DMARC policy and set their SPF policy to hard fail.

Many mail servers will accept any email address as the sender so long as the person using the sender has authenticated with a valid account.

In theory I could log authenticate with my Yahoo account and then send using any e-mail address I like, however yahoo does actually have safeguards in place to ensure I actually own the address before I can't start sending using it.  The majority of mail servers across the web do not have this safeguard Smiley Sad.

Even if Virgin had deleted the account on the server.  It is still possible to spoof using a deleted email address Smiley Sad

Ravenstar68

Edit I've flagged this to the mod team, as this is undoubtedly a distressing situation you find yourself in.  My condolences on your loss.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Wrock
Fibre optic
Message 13 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I hear this case had a happy resolution.  Smiley Very Happy

Virgin Media deleted the account and the customer verified that it has been removed by sending a test message to the address and checking for an automated response including the text "recipient rejected (unknown mailbox)".

-Wrock.

All Replies
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If you cancel an account, that doesnt mean scammers cant spoof your email

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_spoofing
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Given the distress caused I have flagged this with the @ModTeam to look into.
TJY
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Pretty much common sense I would have thought that if VM are notified of someone's death & get a request to cancel their account, that they should be removed from the LDAP automatically. VM were actually pretty awful to my mum anyway, & caused her a lot of grief - & now this! I joined ntl 14 years ago, & have been a loyal customer through that time, even after VM took over. It was on my recommendation that my step-dad was with them. If I'd had a crystal ball I would have told him to use any other company but VM! I will certainly never ever recommend them again. 

Wrock
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello TJY,

Am I right in remembering that when you sent an email to the address of your late stepfather a couple of weeks ago, there was no automated email response containing text such as  "recipient rejected (unknown mailbox)" which would indicate that the account had been closed?  Instead, you received no bounce back message, suggesting that the mailbox was still open and receiving email, correct?

-Wrock.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The forums have limited staff cover at weekends so it might be Monday before the team respond.
TJY
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yes, that's right. No bounce back - the account is still apparently open. Really tough dealing with this. Tried to tell my mum about it yesterday & she got really upset. 

malsiluk
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media, you should hang your heads in shame!

All this smacks of sloppy procedures from your backroom staff. Not doing the job properly and look where it leads to!

Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Without seeing the mail in question - and to be frank I'd really like to.  It's hard to comment definitively.  Please don't post the mail on the main forums without removing the leading portions of any email addresses though.

The sad fact is that if your late father's email address is in the hands of spammers, unless it's actually been sent via Virgin's servers there is little Virgin can do to stop it being spoofed, although a start would be to change their DMARC policy and set their SPF policy to hard fail.

Many mail servers will accept any email address as the sender so long as the person using the sender has authenticated with a valid account.

In theory I could log authenticate with my Yahoo account and then send using any e-mail address I like, however yahoo does actually have safeguards in place to ensure I actually own the address before I can't start sending using it.  The majority of mail servers across the web do not have this safeguard Smiley Sad.

Even if Virgin had deleted the account on the server.  It is still possible to spoof using a deleted email address Smiley Sad

Ravenstar68

Edit I've flagged this to the mod team, as this is undoubtedly a distressing situation you find yourself in.  My condolences on your loss.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

TJY
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

This was the message (see below) - I archived it rather than deleted. Interestingly among the other recipients were 'moneysupermarket.com' but when I looked at the address it was reply-fe641170746702797712-33_HTML-41526698-1081285-558@email.moneysupermarketmail.com. & 'web team' which was actually addressed to webteam@virginmedia.com !! The address of the sender though was my step dad's email address.

Here are some very important news for you, please read that information http://ciccio.cheaperagents.com/aeypzzrp

Sincerely yours,
& then my step fathers name as firstname.lastname

0 Kudos